BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > Luck of the draw

Luck of the draw

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 10/03/2007 20:11:38
Overall Posts Rated:
After taking over a team in last place after 12 games (3-9), I led my team to a 6-3 record and 6th place. And now I find that 3 teams above me just joined in the last week or two and are probably going to make the playoffs. I think its very unfair because now Im learning that teams would get money for each playoff game they play. Even if they lose in their first game is besides the point. They are getting that extra money that they do not deserve while I had to catch up on scouting (and all the costs associated with it) because I expect to have a high draft pick.

I know nothing can be done, just letting my frustrations be heard.

This Post:
1490.2 in reply to 1490.1
Date: 10/03/2007 20:45:02
Overall Posts Rated:
Well, if you stay in 6th place you should get to play against the 7th place team in the other conferance in a relegation match which you will host. This will give you one home game and 2/3 of the attendance money while the 3rd and 4th place teams which just joined will probably lose their one play-off game and only receive 1/3 of the attendance.

So as long as you don't get relegated you should be better off than these new teams. And as far as money towards scouting, you will probably get a couple of top prospects while new teams will be picking at random.

Edit: Actually the relegation match is a best-of-3 so you are guaranteed at least 2 post-season matches while these new teams will probably lose and be out after one. So it doesn't look like your at too much of a disadvantage, just missing out on a chance for promotion.

Edited 10/3/2007 8:51:47 PM by jprochnow

To: JayP
This Post:
1490.3 in reply to 1490.2
Date: 10/03/2007 21:22:15
Overall Posts Rated:
There is money to be made in the relegation games? Wouldn't that would be unfair to the 5th place team?

This Post:
1490.4 in reply to 1490.3
Date: 10/03/2007 22:00:24
Overall Posts Rated:
I don't know for sure as I only joined this season, but I would assume that if there is a competitive match there will be paid attendance.

As far as fairness, I guess 5th place is just out of luck, but I would assume that in a few seasons when teams are more financially stable, being safe from relegation will be more important than the revenue of a couple extra games.

This Post:
1490.5 in reply to 1490.4
Date: 10/04/2007 03:51:15
Overall Posts Rated:
I still think there is a good point there.

6th and 7th place making more money then the 5th can be considered unfair.

This supports the "prizes" idea.

This Post:
1490.6 in reply to 1490.5
Date: 10/04/2007 04:09:38
Overall Posts Rated:
I think the crux of the original point is that he has been playing longer than the teams who will make the playoffs, and as such is losing out on the playoff cash despite having improved the teams record, etc.

I tend to agree. I think that new teams should be assigned to the same series. Once the season starts, if a team becomes "ownerless", then it shouldn't be taken over mid-season.
Aren't there series that have all computer owned teams? If not, there should be. Then when you have new owners who have signed up, those new guys all get placed in the same division.

It is simply unfair to have a new owner get a D.III team because the original owner gave up, and then have the newbie make the playoffs, etc. when other guys have played all season, setting lineups, etc.

The way new owners get placed needs to be addressed as buzzerbeater grows, otherwise you'll have owners stick around for a few weeks, months maybe, and then quit because some newbie came in and took over a dead team higher in the standings.

"Dead" teams should be "reset" with "bot" players, default lineups should be set and then let them weed themselves out.....I believe that's how HT does it and in nearly 5 years there I've never once heard someone complain about this notion of dead teams being replaced by newbies......

Again, sorry for my verbosity.

Edited 10/4/2007 4:13:51 AM by snuzers

This Post:
1490.7 in reply to 1490.6
Date: 10/04/2007 05:19:01
Overall Posts Rated:
There aren't any playoffs in HT, which makes it a bit different.

NO ONE at this table ordered a rum & Coke
Charles: Penn has some good people
A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live

This Post:
1490.8 in reply to 1490.6
Date: 10/04/2007 05:41:10
Overall Posts Rated:
I'm guessing eventually new teams will only be added to the lowest divisions as HT does it. Right now, we are just trying to get as many players into the game as we can.

This Post:
1490.9 in reply to 1490.6
Date: 10/04/2007 06:52:59
Overall Posts Rated:
I would love for a new team to be placed in my series (III.10) . There are only 2 human managers here.

What would be worse than having a new team placed here (as I was in late August) is having a stream of bots making it into division II (there likely will be a bot that autopromotes from my series). The nice thing is knowing that there will be 4 new managers coming into the division in a few weeks, hopefully most of them human.

My brother just signed up for a team about a week ago, and was placed in a IV division full of humans. Going right to your argument, he replaced a team in second place, won his first two matches, and will easily make the playoffs (likely with home court throughout).

So, to clarify what you meant by your post: would it have been better for my brother's team to have been placed in my series (where there are 14 bots) in division III, or placed where he is in div IV among active managers (where he will make the playoffs)??

(http://www.buzzerbeater.com/community/fedoverview.aspx?fe...)
Keep your friend`s toast, and your enemy`s toaster.
This Post:
1490.10 in reply to 1490.9
Date: 10/04/2007 15:20:01
Overall Posts Rated:
So, to clarify what you meant by your post: would it have been better for my brother's team to have been placed in my series (where there are 14 bots) in division III, or placed where he is in div IV among active managers (where he will make the playoffs)??

I guess, the point was that if D.III is full of divisions with bots, then new owners should go there first, until most of the teams in a division are human managers. I'm just saying the new teams should be assigned, not to random divisions with a bot team or two, but to divisions with ALL bots. So they all start on the same equal footing. The BB's need to identify which countries are growing, add divisions (populated with bots initially) for future growth, and then as the higher division fills up with human managers, they start filling up the lower divisions. Your brother's situation is exactly what the original thread creator is irritated by. Your brother reaps the reward of getting to have home court through the playoffs, if he keeps winning. The other teams who have been there throughout the season, should be pissed off.

I think, if the game is taking off as it should, there shouldn't be a need for teams to "wait" an exended time to get placed in a bot division with 7 other teams. Even so, if you do four one day, and four the next, but fill up the bot divisions first, that makes more sense, and is much more equitable than putting one team in a D.III division one day and a D.IV division an hour later, and so on.

Does that make sense??

This Post:
1490.11 in reply to 1490.10
Date: 10/04/2007 20:14:08
Overall Posts Rated:
Yes my point exactly.. If there was an opening in division III when I joined, I should have been placed there. If not, then division IV but hopefully in the highest place available and certainly not in last place (unless that's the only one available). I don't deserve the high seeding for sure but i'm also definite that a newer user is less deserving.

To make matters worse, our first place team is a bot team.. sigh

1st place - bot team - 13-8
2nd place - new team (1 game so far) - 13-8
3rd place - new team (1 game so far) - 12-9
4th place - old team (10 games or so) - 12-9
5th place - new team (1 game so far) - 12-9
6th place - me (9 games) - 9-12 (6-3 record as owner)

Cest la vie..