BuzzerBeater Forums

USA - NBBA > Season 23 NBBA Championship!

Season 23 NBBA Championship!

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 06/04/2013 12:22:42
Arizona Desert Storm
IV.2
Overall Posts Rated:
The last two teams standing and it's a fairly unlikely pairing, at least we didn't appear headed this way a few weeks ago! Funky Town Fire has surprised even themselves by making it to the Finals as the 4th seed in the Great 8 to face the Silverbacks in a best of 3 series. Games 1 and (3 if necessary) will be played at the Silverbacks, with Funky Town Hosting game 2. The underdog in this series is going to have overcome the most consistent team all season who has a stifling defense, balanced scoring, and of course, Home Court Advantage. Should be a good competitive series, but Funky Town Fire appears to need a bounce or two to go their way to steal a game on the road.

Let's Hear about the Owners/Coaches:

Calum:
1. This is your second time in the Finals in the last 3 seasons...Did you see this coming heading into the playoffs?

Nah, I was pretty sure I'd be in the conference finals, but realistically, i saw how ROC have been performing recently, and didn't even contemplate a trip to the finals - really ruined my training plan ;)

2. Are you just happy to be there, relishing the underdog role...or are you in it to win with a plan to surprise some people?

LOL, this is probably the most 1 sided finals in a while. But, I respect SM, and I will put out my best team and try and compete over the 3 games.

3. Going forward, do you have any plans to improve any aspects of your team to make it even stronger than it is?

Not really, i'll need a new C next season as Quiroz is developing Alzheimers in his old age but I doubt it'll be an upgrade. Realistically, i hoped my new SF would have make a bigger difference - I probably could've spent that money more effectively elsewhere. We'll see.

4. Silverbacks are led by SM, do you think he left out the "&" between the SM to not be obvious as to what he likes to do on a Friday night?

Don't get me started mate. That domineering trait certainly seems to be seeping over to the BB-world.

5. We all know your team is deadly at home...what are your chances of stealing a road win & being the Season 23 NBBA Champ?

% chance? I haven't looked at the predictor but I'd guess 3.14%. Not too shabby, I like Pi.

6. Which team in the NBBA concerns you the most when you face them?

I don't really feel concern now-a-days (some botched operation), however, the closest feeling I get to that is when I play one of the promoted teams (over last 4 seasons). I usually never looked at thier rosters out of pure laziness, and I'm not sure if I can get away with TIEing (usually not - see all games)

7. Whats your favorite movie of all time?

Ooooh sh*t. Used to be sure it was Indiana Jones Temple of Doom, then BTTF Part II, then Fifth Element, then Matrix, then Pulp Fiction. Tough call. I'll take Indiana Jones ToD.

8. Are you married?

No sir, was engaged once to a crazy mexican model chick, long story (and it's still getting longer - 8 years later). That's the life of a Scot in California.

9. If you coached in real life, would being defensive team be your priority there, or would your coaching philosophy be different in real life?

I actually would be a shite basketball coach, but, my philosophy in FIFA is a solid defense, letting opposition have the ball, and counter-attack fast as funk!

10. Who is your all-time favorite NBA player?

I dont have much of a history (didnt move to the states till a few years back) but always loved Shaq (I think from Blue Chips). Followed whoever he played for. Now I'm just a clippers fan. Blah

11. Who is your all-time favorite Funky Town Fire player player, and why?

Garcia. There are worthy mentions (Hanson and Radford-original team stars) no-one is even close. He's multi-MVP, always played better than salary, and holds the games and point records. Trail-blazer as high PS/OD power forward in Season 10.

Last edited by Jason at 06/04/2013 16:29:55

Poll:  Who will win?

Silverbacks in 2 Games
Silverbacks in 3 Games
Funky Town Fire in 2 Games
Funky Town Fire in 3 Games

This Post:
242500.2 in reply to 242500.1
Date: 06/04/2013 12:31:31
Arizona Desert Storm
IV.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Continued from Calum:

Just want to give a shout-out to SM. Doing a phenomenal job. We've been playing is basically the same division in BB for like 4 real life years, and it's been a pleasure!

SM:

Are you excited to be in the NBBA Finals once again?

It’s great to be back, the finals are always fun.

Do you feel as strong a favorite as the rest of the league see's you as, or does this series make you nervous at all?

I’m confident in our ability, but Funky Town is never an easy team to beat. If history repeats itself we might see a game go into a few overtimes: (32422685)

It seems that people thought your team was near its peak a few seasons ago, but it keeps getting better...without overhauling any of your players, does your team still have more upside?

There’s always room for improvement, but right now my team is putting up the best ratings it ever has. We’re very near our peak. That said, I won’t have a player that gets minutes under the age of 30 next season, so we’ll be going into a rebuilding phase very soon.

When you think of Callum, do you picture him in boxers or briefs?

Haha, no comment.

Are you more motivated to be the Champion and pick up another Gold Trophy, or is being in the B3 next season even more important to you?

This season the gold trophy means a lot more to me. If anyone leads the USA to glory in B3 next season it’ll be Brian, I can’t afford to carry enough salary to have a legitimate shot at winning.

Which team in the NBBA concerns you the most when you face them?

Currently it’s KDB, I’d say he has the best team in the league right now.

Whats your favorite movie of all time?

Pulp Fiction

Are you married?

Nope, can’t say I am.

If you coached in real life, would being a lock down defensive team be your priority there too, or would your coaching philosophy be different in real life?

As the old saying goes, defense wins championships. I’d say it’s much easier to coach defensive consistency than offensive consistency, so my coaching philosophy would be fairly similar.

Who is your all-time favorite NBA player?

Michael Jordan

Who is your all-time favorite Silverbacks player, and why?

Arkadiusz Salamacha won 4 MVPs in a row and helped me reach the NBBA originally, so he’s up there, but I’d probably have to go with former US NTer Dexter Dennison. He’s been my most consistent contributor in the NBBA.

Last edited by Jason at 06/04/2013 16:41:24

This Post:
242500.3 in reply to 242500.2
Date: 06/04/2013 17:50:55
Overall Posts Rated:
Ooooh sh*t. Used to be sure it was Indiana Jones Temple of Doom, then BTTF Part II, then Fifth Element, then Matrix, then Pulp Fiction. Tough call. I'll take Indiana Jones ToD.

WHAT?!? Temple of Doom? That's the 3rd best Indy movie. I'm so disappointed. Last Crusade > Lost Arkh > Temple of Doom.

That said, I won’t have a player that gets minutes under the age of 30 next season, so we’ll be going into a rebuilding phase very soon.

Thank fucking god.

To: AZ
This Post:
242500.4 in reply to 242500.3
Date: 06/04/2013 18:07:56
Overall Posts Rated:
WHAT?!? Temple of Doom? That's the 3rd best Indy movie. I'm so disappointed. Last Crusade > Lost Arkh > Temple of Doom.

What??? It's spelt Arkh? Totally missed that....

I think I liked short-stop. Must be the goonies connection.

This Post:
242500.5 in reply to 242500.1
Date: 06/04/2013 20:07:43
Milwaukee Lethargy
II.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Miłwaukee Lethargy
I just gave you your 500th ball. That's an achievement, right?

This Post:
242500.6 in reply to 242500.5
Date: 06/04/2013 21:44:30
Overall Posts Rated:
Fitting that game 1 would go to overtime

To: SM
This Post:
242500.7 in reply to 242500.6
Date: 06/04/2013 21:58:59
Overall Posts Rated:
absolutely shocking.

This Post:
242500.8 in reply to 242500.7
Date: 06/04/2013 22:00:48
Overall Posts Rated:
silverbacks wins 4 out of 5 matchups and loses, crazy

"Well, no ones gonna top that." - http://tinyurl.com/noigttt

This Post:
242500.9 in reply to 242500.5
Date: 06/04/2013 23:47:59
Arizona Desert Storm
IV.2
Overall Posts Rated:
I just gave you your 500th ball. That's an achievement, right?

I think so :-) Thanks ;)

This Post:
242500.10 in reply to 242500.8
Date: 06/05/2013 12:49:50
Overall Posts Rated:
that was $3.3m very well spent.

This Post:
242500.11 in reply to 242500.10
Date: 06/05/2013 13:37:45
Overall Posts Rated:
he didnt play that well overall. it was dennison and polt going 11 for 32 on 90+ PP100

(http://cf.chucklesnetwork.agj.co/items/1/2/4/9/5/1/you-ca...)

"Well, no ones gonna top that." - http://tinyurl.com/noigttt