Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 8/26/2021 8:46:44 AM
Kira Kira Koseki
III.6
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Yubi Yubi
We don't have specific ratings for Mid-Range or 3-Point shot in this game, only the term "Jump Range". But that sounds like something else entirely if you take the words literally. This is the earliest thread I could find where this alternate interpretation was a thing;

(73224.1)

Talks about adding a dunk contest to the all-star break were derailed by two comments;

Shoei: but how are we going to brake down a dunking contest? i dont see that in skill specifically so does it connect with inside shot?

aside from it how do we grade this? JR? to see if one player jumps higher?

TruestBaller: Ya, let's add a dunking contest. maybe the players with the best Jump Range. Also make sure all of the contestants are black.

I'm not sure what being black has to do with dunking a basketball, but the seed was sown for a legendary thread. Especially once the latter comment doubled down on their logic by trying to justify how vertical helps you shoot;

TruestBaller: Exactly, so if a player is further from the basket his shooting is more ineffective. Therefor if a player has a higher JR, his jump brings him closer to the net.

So that means he can jump. That's the point. You know that dunkers also jump to shoot, right?

So by that logic, legendary Jump Range means you can dunk from beyond the arc and have it count as a 3 point shot. No wonder it's such an expensive skill in the salary formula! Naturally, this led to users trying to 'decipher' other skills too;

Soel: I hear players with high rebounding skill will get over from break ups quicker, and so will perform better after being dumped by their girlfriend.

mark_lenders: i have a player with atrocious driving. he already destroyed 3 cars this year

The thread was eventually closed, but it's legacy lasted for a few years afterwards, especially in the Australian community as a running joke since Shoei owned an Australian team at the time (and won 4 ABBL titles). Looking back at it, Shoei was wrongly scapegoated by us. They may have brought up Jump Range, but they weren't the one who spent several pages passionately defending the Jump Range = Vertical position. It was still pretty funny whenever it was referenced though.

Last edited by Jay (OTT) at 8/26/2021 8:48:18 AM

This Post:
311486.3 in reply to 311486.1
Date: 8/26/2021 8:59:33 AM
Heywood Big Dogs
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Heywood Lions
That's gold. I don't think I was truly experiencing this game for my first 10-15 seasons, hardly ever looked at the forums. Gee I regret that after reading this!

This Post:
311486.5 in reply to 311486.1
Date: 8/26/2021 9:45:46 AM
Team Payabang
III.7
Overall Posts Rated:
lol... Jump Range = vertical leap... really.. gotta try experimenting on this soon... Hoping that we can in the future read something like dunking from at least the top of the key, elbow and behind the arc.

Last edited by Bro_Khen at 8/26/2021 9:47:07 AM