BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > Long-term changes?

Long-term changes?

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 06/19/2009 23:45:10
Clovis Knights
III.9
Overall Posts Rated:
Looking at the NBBA I notice that 15 of the 16 teams gained there current ownership during the first three seasons (16th Heathens in season 4). I wonder how much this has to do with longevity of the teams rather then actual skill. I am little worried for the long run of the game. Will it become to difficult for new players to gain a foothold in the upper leagues with stalwart teams who have been training, selling, and buying players for years? Will top leagues be filled with legendary players worth 200K that 99% of teams could never dream of affording? The system as it is overwhelming favors owners who have been around for multiple seasons, while it isn't impossible for a team to move up or down a couple of divisions. I seriously doubt a new owner starting season 9 or later will be able to ever compete at a top league level?

A sub-question to this issue is will BB ever consider dividing large countries into regions especially those with multiple time zones? This would allow more opportunities for newer teams to make top leagues and give better game times for owners with two or three hour time difference from other regions of the country.

This Post:
97948.2 in reply to 97948.1
Date: 06/20/2009 00:28:00
Overall Posts Rated:
I think that your second paragraph is an excellent suggestion. I think that 500 teams or so is probably enough for one region. Lately I have been seeing a lot of concern over the stagnation of the game and the widening of the gap between early signups and new signups. I played Hattrick for one season and was so far down the ladder I couldn't even see the top of the bottom of the barrel (thanks Operation Ivy). I have been thinking about how to combat this, with no good solutions. Salary caps and revenue sharing are two possible ideas, as well as greatly increased player ability in the lower level drafts. The former two will undoubtedly enrage most established owners and the latter doesn't seem likely.

Once I scored a basket that still makes me laugh.
This Post:
97948.3 in reply to 97948.2
Date: 06/20/2009 02:14:11
Clovis Knights
III.9
Overall Posts Rated:
Thanks for the response, because United States is broken into multiple time zones it means that only one time zone will get the normal game time which correct me if I am wrong is 8pm, which would be perfect except if you live on the other side of the country where for me is 5pm so because of my job I have to watch every game on replay. I bet that is true for other big countries like Russia, China, and Canada.

Personally, I don't see how an owner starting in season 8 or 9 could ever beat a team from season two or three (unless they were fairly inactive). Personally, I would love to see the draft developed into a more strategic part of the game. I think it could allow for newer teams to move up quicker.

This Post:
97948.5 in reply to 97948.3
Date: 06/20/2009 03:40:52
Overall Posts Rated:
There's only one time zone in China...

Once I scored a basket that still makes me laugh.
This Post:
97948.6 in reply to 97948.1
Date: 06/20/2009 10:19:48
Overall Posts Rated:
Looking at the NBBA I notice that 15 of the 16 teams gained there current ownership during the first three seasons (16th Heathens in season 4). I wonder how much this has to do with longevity of the teams rather then actual skill. I am little worried for the long run of the game. Will it become to difficult for new players to gain a foothold in the upper leagues with stalwart teams who have been training, selling, and buying players for years? Will top leagues be filled with legendary players worth 200K that 99% of teams could never dream of affording? The system as it is overwhelming favors owners who have been around for multiple seasons, while it isn't impossible for a team to move up or down a couple of divisions. I seriously doubt a new owner starting season 9 or later will be able to ever compete at a top league level?

one thing what caused that issue, that you could get very much money in the beginning because you got nearly the full first league income but you pay the salary of a team who playing 2 seasons. With taxing they start to regulating it, but you could build your team fast then now which give this team a competive advantage.

Today the income gets closer to the spending from season to season, which makes it possible to catch up - but also the new economic system would take effect with undefined direction.

This Post:
97948.7 in reply to 97948.1
Date: 06/20/2009 13:23:10
Overall Posts Rated:
The system as it is overwhelming favors owners who have been around for multiple seasons, while it isn't impossible for a team to move up or down a couple of divisions. I seriously doubt a new owner starting season 9 or later will be able to ever compete at a top league level?

This is a feature. BB is designed as a long-run game, and it has neither the intention nor the means to provide instant gratification.

With careful management and a little bit of luck every owner has the chance to compete in the top league one day. Train players for several seasons, sell them, invest carefully in new arena and roster improvements, and you'll be fine.

This of course doesn't make that everyone will make it to the top league, but it's not at all impossible.

Last edited by GM-kozlodoev at 06/20/2009 13:23:48

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
This Post:
97948.8 in reply to 97948.7
Date: 06/22/2009 12:04:22
Clovis Knights
III.9
Overall Posts Rated:
"BB is designed as a long-run game, and it has neither the intention nor the means to provide instant gratification."

My main concern is how a season 10 new owner can actually ever catch up to a season one or season two owner? I am not talking one or even two seasons I am talking five or six seasons down the road. Thanks to the pryramid system there will always be some movement from league to league. But the BB system works kind of like continous race with new teams entering every day, but those who started early will nearly always be ahead.

I am not trying to whine here, rather address a larger long-term philosophical issue of the game. I am just hoping there is some background discussions going on to make sure there isn't too much distance from the veterans and newbies that the newbies have little to no chance of ever catching up.

This Post:
97948.9 in reply to 97948.8
Date: 06/22/2009 12:07:08
Overall Posts Rated:
There are diminishing returns to the time spent in the game. The longer you're in a top league, the smaller your profits become. Catching up is less difficult than you might think.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
This Post:
97948.10 in reply to 97948.9
Date: 06/22/2009 12:13:35
Overall Posts Rated:
Agreed. We are already seeing players so expensive that no team could afford more than one or two of them and still field a decent roster. I think quite a few teams are nearly as good as they are ever going to get. Especially since there is a limit to how many people you can get into an arena to watch games.

This Post:
97948.11 in reply to 97948.4
Date: 06/22/2009 12:43:18
Clovis Knights
III.9
Overall Posts Rated:
Good post. Thank you.

As I pointed out I think in a previous post. I would love to see the draft develop into more of one of those sub-challenges to a greater degree.

I am a season 6 owner where most other active teams in my starting range are in div. 3 or div. 4. So the top for me is very far off but not unreachable. But a season 10 starter will have to be incredibly good to even reach div.3 in three or four seasons. Make that five or six seasons for a season 15 starter.

I like your Lakers analogy, except while that neighborhood team has improved in free throws and added the best player from the local gym. The Lakers have added Chris Paul and Lebron James!