BB Australia > AUS NT Requirements

AUS NT Requirements

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 05/16/2012 08:19:35
Overall Posts Rated:
Australia National Requirements
After a season of managing the national team, I now have a much better idea of what requirements must be set. While it's only a guideline, I hope it can help assist managers in deciding what skills are necessary in building a quality national player.

Below are the minimum requirements with a bit of comments about each skill. I've split the skills into two categories, main skills and bonus skills. Main skills are the key skills that are looked at when selecting a national player however bonus skills could give this player an edge over another in terms of selection. Also it can help cover their own weaknesses.

Also, please note the national squad will depend on the national talent pool so sometimes we may bend the rules and allow players below the requirements in making the team.

For all those who want to begin training a national player:
-Suggested trainer level: 5-7
-Suggested player potential: MVP or higher, while balanced SF should be Superstar or higher

For more in depth discussion of these guidelines and your players, I suggest joining our national off-site forum: http://forum.buzzerbeaterstats.com/index.php

Point Guard (PG):
I control the rock! Can't be scared of running into walls!

Main Skills
Jump Shot (JS) - Stupendous (17+)
The PG needs to score sometimes so can't be a complete dud at shooting.

Jump Range (JR) - Prolific (11+)
To run an outside tactic we need quality jump range shooters who can beat outside defence. Even a PG needs to be able to score mid range jumpers and threes.

Outside defence (OD) - phenomenal (18+)
If you're any lower you'll have a tough time cracking the team. Actually, I would like to see it even higher if possible. The PG is the one who runs the offense so the higher the OD, the more we can disrupt their passing abilities.

Handling (HD) - stupendous (17+)
The PG needs to be able to handle the ball while also create steal opportunities.

Driving (DR) - stupendous (17+)
Even the PG needs to score sometimes and driving will help create better quality shots and more often.

Passing (PS) - Prodigious (16+)
How can a PG distribute the ball to others if he can't pass? The higher the better since this will allow the team to create more quality shots. Quality shots mean more likely to score.

Bonus Skills
Inside Shot (IS) - Respectable (7+)
Always handy to have some inside shot to get those layups/dunks in.

Inside Defence (ID) - respectable (7+)
Opposite of inside shot, helpful in preventing opposing PG in scoring their layups/dunks.

Last edited by Whitebeard at 12/02/2012 00:49:31

This Post:
217586.2 in reply to 217586.1
Date: 05/16/2012 08:21:19
Overall Posts Rated:
Shooting Guard (SG):
Who better than me to take the clutch three?

Main Skills
Jump Shot (JS) - phenomenal (18+)
He's a shooting guard so he needs to be able to shoot. As always, i would like to see this higher.

Jump Range (JR) - Tremendous (13+)
To run an outside tactic we need quality mid range jumpers and threes which can beat the outside defence.

Outside Defence (OD) - phenomenal (18+)
As always, i like outside defence to be as high as possible and this should be our standard for our guards. The opposing SG is always going to be a good scorer so the more we can shut them down, the better off we'll be.

Handling (HD) - stupendous (17+)
Similar to our PG, the SG sometimes need to be able to handle the ball and create steal opportunities.

Driving (DR) - stupendous (17+)
The SG needs to be able to create his own iso shot and driving will help him do this. Also helps his layups and dunks.

Passing (PS) - Wondrous (14+)
Everyone on the team should be able to pass at least a little bit, especially the two-guard. We're an excellent passing team and we need to stay that way.

Bonus Skills
Inside Shot (IS) - Respectable (7+)
Same as PG. Always handy to have some inside shot to get those layups/dunks in.

Inside Defence (ID) - Respectable (7+)
Same as PG. Opposite of inside shot, helpful in preventing opposing guard in scoring their layups/dunks.

The Outside Small Forward (SF):
Go ahead, try and take some treys!

Main Skills
Jump Shot (JS) - stupendous (17+)
The outside SF should be able to take a jumper.

Jump Range (JR) - prolific (11+)
Not often does the opposing team play an outside SF, usually either an SG, balance SF or PF. If the latter two is playing then our outside SF can easily make those mid range jumpers and threes without sweat.

Outside Defence (OD) - stupendous (17+)
Shut down that outside shooter playing at SF.

Handling (HD) - prodigious (16+)
Need good ball handling to prevent turnovers as well as forcing turnovers on opposing SF.

Driving (DR) - prodigious (16+)
Helps create better quality shots.

Passing (PS) - sensational (12+)
The outside SF usually have the abilities of a guard and can rotate to the 1 or 2 guard spot. Therefore a bit of passing is necessary as they will need to be able to distribute the ball to others.

Inside Shot (IS) - Sensational (12+)
A bit of inside offence is necessary especially facing a SG or outside SF. This allows for some easy inside shots.

Inside Defence (ID) - Sensational (12+)
Needs to be able to defend inside tactics as well.

Bonus Skills
Rebounding (RB) - prominent (10+)
If there's a advantageous mismatch then rebounding can make a massive difference in allowing for second chance points. Of course we don't want to be out-rebounded at SF either.

Shot Blocking (SB) - respectable (7+)
Won't be used as much since shot blocking not as useful on the perimeter.

Last edited by Whitebeard at 12/02/2012 00:43:42

This Post:
217586.3 in reply to 217586.2
Date: 05/16/2012 08:22:48
Overall Posts Rated:
The Balanced Small Forward (SF):
Anything you can do, I can do...well maybe just as good? I'm the allrounder!

Main Skills
Jump Shot (JS) - marvelous (15+)
The SF needs to know how to shoot the occasional mid range jumper.

Jump Range (JR) - proficient (9+)
Handy skill to have when you need to beat those pesky PF who play at SF.

Outside Defence (OD) - marvelous (15+)
A touch less important than the guards but still necessary in case of an outside shooter playing at SF.

Handling (HD) - wondrous (14+)
Higher the handling, the better the quality shots are created and taken. Lesser turnovers and better ball handling pressure.

Driving (DR) - wondrous (14+)
Create more quality shots which allows for more easy baskets.

Passing (PS) - prominent (10+)
Everyone on the team needs to be able to pass the ball even if the guards are the main distributors.

Inside Shot (IS) - wondrous (14+)
If you can't break that outside defence, sometimes going inside may be the better option.

Inside Defence (ID) - marvelous (15+)
A SF ideally needs to be able to defend both inside and outside tactics.

Rebounding (RB) - tremendous (13+)
The team always need an edge in rebounding, someone who can box out and grab the offensive board while the big men are busy fighting.

Bonus Skills
Not as useful as our bigs but can be handy.

The Inside Small Forward (SF):
Go ahead, try and stop me from pounding it inside!

Main Skills
Jump Shot (JS) - tremendous (13+)
The inside SF should be capable of taking the jump shot especially sometimes he may be required to switch to PF to take advantage of the opposing PF's weakness.

Jump Range (JR) - respectable (7+)
Needs to be able to take some deep jumpers especially against those inside SF or opposing PF.

Outside Defence (OD) - sensational (12+)
Not as important but still need some outside defence in case of some form of outside threat. Of course, this is just the minimal requirement.

Handling (HD) - prolific (11+)
Reduce turnovers and create pressure for opposing ball handler.

Driving (DR) - prolific (11+)
Help create better shots and draw fouls.

Passing (PS) - proficient (9+)
Any passing is always good. The more the better.

Inside Shot (IS) - prodigious (16+)
Need to be able to hammer those inside shots and force those fouls. May also be required to play at PF sometimes so high inside shot is required.

Inside Defence (ID) - prodigious (16+)
Required to prevent easy inside looks. Inside SF may play at PF so needs high inside defence to cover those close range basket attempts made by opposing PF.

Rebounding (RB) - wondrous (14+)
Take advantage of rebounding at the SF position and also may need to play at PF at times so need decent rebounding against monster bigs.

Bonus Skills
Helpful in altering shots.

Last edited by Whitebeard at 12/02/2012 00:54:23

This Post:
217586.4 in reply to 217586.3
Date: 05/16/2012 08:24:34
Overall Posts Rated:
Power Forward (PF):
I got skills! I know how to dribble the ball too!

Main Skills
Jump Shot (JS) - Prominent (10+)
Our PFs need to be able to shoot those mid range jumpers, plain and simple.

Outside Defence (OD) - respectable (7+)
The opposing PF can be dangerous especially deep from the three point line or when they take a mid range jump shot. Having outside defence can help reduce the easy baskets the opposing PF shoot.

Handling (HD) - respectable (7+)
You need good handling to keep those turnovers down. Turnovers aren't good as they can create fastbreaks for easy points. Yes, Buzzerbeater have fastbreaks too.

Driving (DR) - respectable (7+)
Higher driving helps our PFs get their shots and draw fouls on opposing big men. Ideally I would like to see this at least double digits but respectable is the minimum mark.

Inside Shot (IS) - stupendous (17+)
A key in getting those easy layups and dunks. Opposing bigs have high inside defence so it's necessary to fight fire with fire.

Rebounding (RB) - prodigious (16+)
Don't want to give up easy offensive rebounds after putting in all the effort to pressure the shooter into missing their shot.

Inside Defence (ID) - stupendous (17+)
Need to be able to stop those easy inside baskets.

Bonus Skills
Jump Range (JR) - mediocre (5+)
Allows for a deeper range when taking the jumper.

Passing (PS) - mediocre (5+)
Not everyone can be born with good passing. But if the PF have some passing, instead of taking a bad shot he can pass to another team mate.

Allows the PF to shot block while alter what should have been an easy shot into a difficult one.

Centre (C):
Come at me bro!

Main Skills
Jump Shot (JS) - respectable (7+)
Inside Shot is the main offence for C but everyone on the team should be able to take a jump shot.

Handling (HD) - respectable (7+)
We don't want to be giving away too many turnovers per game.

Driving (DR) - respectable (7+)
Once again, high driving help our C get their shots and draw fouls on opposing big men. Ideally I would like to see this at least double digits but respectable is the minimum mark.

Inside Shot (IS) - stupendous (17+)
A key in getting those easy layups and dunks. Opposing bigs have high inside defence so it's necessary to fight fire with fire.

Rebounding (RB) - stupendous (17+)
Rebound those miss shots so we can start our offence. Rebound those miss shots and get an easy put back. The higher the better, but you need to stop shots first to get rebounds.

Inside Defence (ID) - stupendous (17+)
The C is the main man to our defence. We don't want to give up easy baskets so it's a requirement that he has at least stupendous inside defence.

Shot Blocking (SB) - proficient (9+)
Do not listen to those fools! The best Cs are some of the best shot blockers. Shot blocking not only block shots but also alter opposing player shots. This could make them miss their shots, so it's a critical skill in stopping those easy two points.

Bonus Skills
Jump Range (JR) - mediocre (5+)
Not all Cs have good outside defence and some decent jump shot and jump range can really hurt the opposing C.

Outside Defence (OD) - mediocre (5+)
Quite often opposing Cs can take quality mid range jumpers and a little bit of outside defence can stop those from going into the basket easily.

Passing (PS) - mediocre (5+)
An inside out pass can be dangerous and allow an open man to score. It also helps to reduce the turnovers.

Last edited by Whitebeard at 12/02/2012 00:57:10

This Post:
217586.5 in reply to 217586.4
Date: 05/16/2012 08:26:17
Overall Posts Rated:
Miscellaneous:
Don't forget about me! I'm important too!

Stamina (ST) - mediocre (5+)
Everybody needs to be able to start. Starters may need to play 30+ minutes and the sooner they tire out the less effective they will be. So the higher the stamina, the better. This would be best trained after the player's main skills have been completed or during off-season or 2 match weeks.

Free Throw (JR) - respectable (7+)
We need players to make their free throws. Missing too many can cost the team the win especially in clutch moments. The higher the better, ideal accuracy should be at least 70% shooting accuracy. Also the higher the free throw the more likely this player will be on during clutch moments. Similar to stamina, best trained after the player's main skills have been completed or during off-season or 2 match weeks.

Gameshape (GS) - proficient (9)
I won't tolerate poor gameshape, that means gameshape below respectable unless the player was injured. Teams are selected base on gameshape since most players on the team will have skills at a similar level. One interesting note is that gameshape have sub levels. To tell the player's gameshape sub level apart is through DMI. Of course, DMI calculation have changed and won't be accurate but it would give a rough indication of the player's gameshape sub level.

In order to maintain quality gameshape the player should roughly play 55-80 minutes a week. However gameshape is not dependent on one week of minutes, it is over several weeks. So you need to average approximately 60-70 minutes each week over at least 2-3 weeks.

Last edited by Whitebeard at 12/02/2012 00:48:20

This Post:
217586.6 in reply to 217586.1
Date: 05/16/2012 12:10:58
Overall Posts Rated:
Firstly can this thread be stickied? Cheers!

As you wish. Would you also like it locked or do you want discussion here?

This Post:
217586.7 in reply to 217586.6
Date: 05/17/2012 02:52:49
Overall Posts Rated:
Thanks, keep it unlocked in case people have questions or want to have some discussion about it. :)

This Post:
217586.8 in reply to 217586.7
Date: 05/17/2012 03:04:04
Overall Posts Rated:
Alright! :)

This Post:
217586.9 in reply to 217586.1
Date: 05/20/2012 04:24:44
Kira Kira Koseki
III.6
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Yubi Yubi
One question, more for future reference since I don't have anything near an NT trainee right now, if we have a player that is short by one skill level on one or at most two of the minimum requirements, can they make up for it and still make the team by being particularly good in other main skills? (eg for a Point Guard, only 16 handling but 20 outside defence)

Last edited by Jay (OTT) at 05/20/2012 04:25:14

This Post:
217586.10 in reply to 217586.9
Date: 05/20/2012 04:38:59
Overall Posts Rated:
Defence is always better than handling or anything else. I am sure you can always swap +1 defence for anything else.

This Post:
217586.11 in reply to 217586.9
Date: 05/20/2012 14:13:05
Overall Posts Rated:
It really depend on our talent pool. We might have a lot of similar built guards but we can only fit a roster of 18 players which would include bigs and small forwards. Base on that example if there are a lot of guards, what will separate a guard from another guard from getting into the team is really the manager's handling of gameshape. No matter how superior the player's skills are, if you can't keep a good handle on gameshape then don't expect your player to be on the national team.