BuzzerBeater Forums

USA - V.65 > LSD Falling Down!!!

LSD Falling Down!!!

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 09/07/2011 09:58:34
Overall Posts Rated:
I need help, I don't know whats going on to my team this year, if anyone has a clue to what it might be please comment. Thanks so much!

LSD FTW
This Post:
195958.2 in reply to 195958.1
Date: 09/07/2011 11:43:09
Overall Posts Rated:
Several things.

1st. Never run 2-3 defense. The only exception might be against NBA Swagger. Man to Man, is considered the best defense to run. Unless you know that your opponent is a big 3 point shooting team.

2nd. You need to decide what type of offense you want to run. I know Basic Offense doesn't sound flashy, but it is considered your strongest offense. Outside oriented offenses are Run and Gun, motion, princeton. Inside offenses are Look inside, low post. Push the Ball, is a faster version of Basic, and Patient is a slower version of Basic.

3rd, The league has evolved. When we 1st started, there were only a few good teams. Now half the teams are solid. It does make a big difference. So you have to do 2 things. Train young players. And Invest in new talent, better paid then what you have. That again, depends on what type of offense/defense you want to run.

This Post:
195958.3 in reply to 195958.2
Date: 09/07/2011 13:25:59
Overall Posts Rated:
@LSD Your losses have come against formidable teams. There is no shame in them. There are lessons within every loss as well as every victory. A glance at your teams overall stats reveals several key weaknesses but one stands heads and shoulders above the rest.

Without studying the fundamentals of the game itself, even the most expensive roster in the league would be of no use to you. The one dimensional understanding of the game reflected in your team's performance has apparently taken it as far it can. There is much more than high FG% and double-doubles that factor into the final score of a game. Understanding those non-obvious factors is critical to becoming competitive in any rendition of the game, be it virtual or physical. As you gain that knowledge there is no doubt you will see your squad more adaptable to whatever team/challenge stands before them.

The current NBA is a slave to the star system and the marketing machine that pimps them. It no longer honors the core elements of the game. This makes it an extremely bad example to reference for building a sound understanding. It has been debated to death whether it stems from the influx of kids out of HS and/or the glut of resources that focus on marketing key players. I imagine it's a combination. Regardless, these propped up 'elite' teams which are not fundamentally sound crumble against lesser hyped but more all around teams. This is why a team like the Mavs can make such short work of a team like the Heat. It's not that they necessarily have more talent, but that they have a higher IQ of the game and are able to execute strategies based on that higher IQ where as a team like the Heat would figure they were safe as long as the big 3 are in double digits.

The international game exhibited by the Euroleague, Argentina, Spain, even Japan will teach you more about these fundamentals than the majority of current NBA games will. Their style is acclimated to intelligent execution without being burdened by the star system that exists in the pros here in the US.

To improve, you will need to study the history of great teams. Modeling on the merch monsters of today will only get you deeper into the hole you're already in. Some eras/teams I'd recommend to begin working out of your current predicament are '96 Bulls, early 80's Lakers, 60's Celtics, Bad Boys Era Pistons and the elite college programs like Duke, NC, and the early 90's UNLV Rebels. Youtube is filled with docs and actual games that include analysis and breakdowns. It's a great resource to take advantage of.

As PWN said, the league of today is not the one of yesterday. An unexpected challenge now stares you in the face. Wins don't come as easy as they used to. You're no longer the team to beat. This naturally rattles your confidence. How will the defending B8 champion respond? Fight? Flight? Run? Gun? With half the season left, the ball is now in your hands to decide that.

Joga Bonito

Last edited by Mix at 09/08/2011 04:21:01

To: Mix
This Post:
195958.4 in reply to 195958.3
Date: 09/08/2011 20:08:13
Overall Posts Rated:
I am about to horribly sell out my team, but it must be done!!! A monster is about to be created.....

This Post:
195958.5 in reply to 195958.4
Date: 09/08/2011 23:42:01
Overall Posts Rated:
It has risen..... it now rests and waits for its prey to be turned into appetizers.

This Post:
195958.6 in reply to 195958.5
Date: 09/09/2011 05:10:35
Overall Posts Rated:
@VIObuf those are some impressive free agents you picked up. Congrats. Always good to bring more talent into the league. BTW, what the hell happened in the 4th against PWN? I suspect Dick Trickle may have dosed the Gatorade at your bench. I couldn't muster up any actual evidence but I reported PWN for cheating anyway. :)

To: Mix
This Post:
195958.7 in reply to 195958.6
Date: 09/09/2011 19:42:13
Overall Posts Rated:
I suspected such tactics from pwnstar.... typical. I will thwart his games in the finals.Me and him are veterans of V.65,this year is our year in the finals!

This Post:
195958.8 in reply to 195958.7
Date: 09/12/2011 16:12:49
Overall Posts Rated:
Thanks, everyone who helped me out.

LSD FTW
This Post:
195958.9 in reply to 195958.8
Date: 09/19/2011 19:19:58
Overall Posts Rated:
@KJ Some observations on your last match (36253525). You ran PRINCE, which runs a lot of 3's but only hit 20% of them.

You had pretty good steals and blocks but you more than doubled CMorg's fouls 24 to 11. An indication of low skilled defense. It's a lose-lose when that happens. If you hit the bonus mid quarter that turns the clock into an enemy. Your fouls add up putting your opponent on the line while stopping the clock. This extends the quarter and gives them more time to get more fouls out of your starters and puts them closer to exiting the game.

What I'd hinted at in the previous message to you should be painfully clear at this point. You need D and perhaps some IS to round out your offense. There's an old adage that Fratello used to use when he called games, "Live by the three, die by the three." 20% beyond the arc is definitely dying by the three. You may look at other offensive tactics if you want to preserve your current roster. The transfer list is looking mighty lean so it may not come cheap. Good luck, Champ.

Last edited by Mix at 09/19/2011 19:21:39

This Post:
195958.10 in reply to 195958.9
Date: 09/20/2011 21:40:40
Overall Posts Rated:
After analyzing multiple games, I know the issues I face. I have troubles getting rebounds, even though my team is very well sized. I have trouble making jump shots that seem easy. I give my opponent too many second chance points. My team was much better last year... I still don't know what happened though... Im left with only the knowledge of that my team is failing and slowly crimpling. It seems as age is doing something, but I haven't had too many low stat drops or anything... I just don't Get it. Please, would someone imagine the frustration I'm left to face with???

LSD FTW
This Post:
195958.11 in reply to 195958.10
Date: 09/20/2011 21:48:41
Overall Posts Rated:
I'll help. I'm sure others will chime in and help as well. I think all of us, want to be successful, but we all understand the frustrations. Give me a night to come up with some ideas on how to help. Okay?