forum day topic: Potential

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
29708.12 in reply to 29708.11
Date: 05/09/2008 22:38:41
Overall Posts Rated:
Charles,

Judging by your answer, potential is the total accumulation of the values for all a player's skills? With a player with low potential for example, I can train ONE skill to a high level (Let's say sensational) or train multiple skills to a lower level (Let's say strong). Is this correct?

This Post:
29708.14 in reply to 29708.13
Date: 05/10/2008 04:11:59
Freccia Azzurra
IV.18
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Slaytanic
And what happens when you arrive at the top? No more pops? O_O

1990-2022 Stalinorgel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV-Xppl6h8Et
This Post:
29708.15 in reply to 29708.11
Date: 05/10/2008 04:58:11
Overall Posts Rated:
Sorry for my english ^^

I have a question :

Salary is calculated only three times in a season, at the start, at the all-star-game and at the end.

Do you test if a player reach its potential limit every week after training or only when the salary is calculated ?

This Post:
29708.16 in reply to 29708.13
Date: 05/10/2008 05:49:29
Freccia Azzurra
IV.18
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Slaytanic
I've thought about it in the meantime...

I can train ONE skill to a high level (Let's say sensational) or train multiple skills to a lower level (Let's say strong). Is this correct?

Qualitatively, that's correct.

Have you thought that the potential organized in this way will give a big advantage to the centers and a big disatvantage to everyone that trains SFs? 3 skills need a centers, the double a SF (or a good guards).

Last edited by ned at 05/10/2008 05:50:43

1990-2022 Stalinorgel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV-Xppl6h8Et
This Post:
29708.17 in reply to 29708.11
Date: 05/10/2008 06:43:07
Overall Posts Rated:
Hi,

I've been thinking here because most of these are questions that haven't released the answer to.

In general, there is in a multi-skilled way a cap on how good a player can become. That limit does not depend upon position; if you really wanted to take a 7'3" player and make him into a guard, he'd still have the same potential and the same cap, just that it would take effect on his guard skills instead of his center skills.

A good approximation might be to say that a bench warmer is very unlikely to ever become a $10k/week player, regardless of what position you want him to earn that salary at. On the other hand, an all-time great will, with training, far surpass the skills of a $10k/week player as long as he is trained for an extended time.

So all this time some of us have been creating multi skilled players (5x prominent) we wouldve been better of creating a mono-skilled player and then adding to his secondaries?

OR

does this mean that the secondaries of some of these mono-skilled players wont raise as much as the calculation will take into account the big main stat..

ie. SG
Has Marvellous JS Strong JR but little HD/DR will his cap on HD/DR be lower than a guy who has PROF JS/JR as well as HD/DR?

Lastly if you have a guy who is maxed out in certain skills but still has some awfuls/inept stats.. will training these be any different? ie. Can an amazing player still improve his worse stats (surely not too wage heavy) vs a similar player with just lower primary skills.

ie SG
1st Guy (appearingly maxed out at Tremendous JS Prolific JR/OD/HD but atroc passing... will his passing improve as quickly as a SG with Respectable stats in the top 4 boxes and Atroc passing... in other words if you train or overtrain one or two skills will this prevent you from training up the others at a later stage..

It seems it will be difficult to build $50k wage PGs/SGs if so that need 6 skills as if you distribute 60 points over the 6 areas you get a 6x Prominent player vs you could have a Center with 4x15 Marvellous (clearly a much more wage heavy and I assume effective player)

This Post:
29708.18 in reply to 29708.17
Date: 05/10/2008 07:49:30
Overall Posts Rated:

It seems it will be difficult to build $50k wage PGs/SGs if so that need 6 skills as if you distribute 60 points over the 6 areas you get a 6x Prominent player vs you could have a Center with 4x15 Marvellous (clearly a much more wage heavy and I assume effective player)

I agree with you. If it's difficult to build big wage for PGs/SGs. The cap is in a multi-skilled way however as BBcharles said we could assimilate this cap at the salary.
So for me the limit given by the potential could be longer to reach with outside player than with inside player.
??

This Post:
29708.19 in reply to 29708.18
Date: 05/10/2008 07:56:02
Overall Posts Rated:

So for me the limit given by the potential could be longer to reach with outside player than with inside player.
??

Assuming the inside and the outside trainer train under a level 10 trainer every week and have the same potential, I would think both will hit it at the same time as opposed to the outside player taking longer to hit it.

I would think it's like dropping marbles into a bowl, with potential level being the bowl and marbles the weekly training. Doesn't matter which side of the bowl the marbles end up, once you get a certain number in that's it.

Unless of course if you're saying potential limit for outside players SHOULD be higher. I seriously hope this should not be the case as players such as the multiskilled SF position would blur the line.

Last edited by Sparkle at 05/10/2008 07:58:20

This Post:
29708.20 in reply to 29708.17
Date: 05/10/2008 08:07:57
Overall Posts Rated:

Same old story...
A SG does not need passing and handling (not more than a C) and a PG does not need high JR.
PFs also need JS.

After the half season changes do you still think that training C/PF gives advantages to PG/SG training?

This Post:
29708.21 in reply to 29708.20
Date: 05/10/2008 08:12:01
Overall Posts Rated:

Same old story...
A SG does not need passing and handling (not more than a C) and a PG does not need high JR.
PFs also need JS.

After the half season changes do you still think that training C/PF gives advantages to PG/SG training?

Well I just havent got a clue! Why does a SG not need Passing?

I think at the Allstar level training C/PF is more efficient (I am a guard trainer) as you can currently build 60-70k salary centres and to build an equivalent PG (wage wise) you by the sounds of it need a player with higher potential....

Advertisement