BuzzerBeater Forums

BB USA > National Team Debate Thread

National Team Debate Thread (thread closed)

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
297802.2 in reply to 297802.1
Date: 01/29/2019 20:01:44
Mountain Eagles
III.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Ric Flair Drippers
The first question I want to pose for all running candidates:

It is not old news that we have an aging roster. Also not old news that our depth and future cupboard for these replacements could be thin or not. I do see that we have nice young guards to last us about another couple seasons in Driscoll, Brooks, Hen, and a decent forward in Leach. I want to know what you as manager can do to 1) Help increase/maintain the future pipeline, motivating managers BESIDES AMERICAN OWNERS to help train for the Red, White, and Blue, and also how you plan on infusing talent on the forward and big man side of the ball for us in the coming seasons.

tough

3 Time NBBA Champion. Certified Trainer. Mentor. Have any questions? Feel free to shoot me a BB-Mail!

This Post:
297802.3 in reply to 297802.2
Date: 01/30/2019 08:45:26
Smallfries
III.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Smallfries II
So let's talk about a few things.

1) How important is it to have the U21 and NT on the same page in regards to training? Especially with the new YTs and Gyms, MVPs and HOFs will be the primary players on the U21 team now, which means training needs to be looked at (in my opinion). This doesn't mean things have to necessarily be changed, but I'm more curious as to how the candidates feel the role of NT manager will come into play for the U21 players?

2) How do the candidates feel about total skill points in comparison to specialized players? The talk has been for a while that TSP is one of the most important things to look at for NT players. Well, it is possible to create completely specialized players that have 135+ skill points, but may only be dominate in a few things like PA, SB, REB, etc. What this means is that the scoring skills will be much lower than we currently see on the NT, but we would see truly unique players that can dominate in certain areas. So with that mindset, does TSP really matter or are there set skills per player type that you will be looking for ?

This Post:
297802.4 in reply to 297802.2
Date: 01/30/2019 09:34:17
Overall Posts Rated:
It is not old news that we have an aging roster. Also not old news that our depth and future cupboard for these replacements could be thin or not. I do see that we have nice young guards to last us about another couple seasons in Driscoll, Brooks, Hen, and a decent forward in Leach. I want to know what you as manager can do to 1) Help increase/maintain the future pipeline, motivating managers BESIDES AMERICAN OWNERS to help train for the Red, White, and Blue, and also how you plan on infusing talent on the forward and big man side of the ball for us in the coming seasons.

It always warms my heart when Leach gets mentioned

As I said in my speech regarding infusing talent, we need to find the best strategy for using the new training options going forward. If we want 3-4 seasons on choosing a path then we can fall behind for the next 10-15 seasons on the NT level. When it comes to motivating managers, we just have to have constant discussions about what is best for them as well as the NT. Better players through training, merchandise, all of it adds up. I believe we're in a great place to move the mantel forward.

Last edited by khenry at 02/02/2019 12:23:53

I once had a team with 1757 players and was $25,835,360 in debt. This is not that team. Join the Discord group open to anyone, but especially for USA managers to improve your club or get involved with the U21 and NT programs (https://discord.gg/cKpNkt2).

This Post:
297802.5 in reply to 297802.3
Date: 01/30/2019 09:42:10
Overall Posts Rated:
1) How important is it to have the U21 and NT on the same page in regards to training? Especially with the new YTs and Gyms, MVPs and HOFs will be the primary players on the U21 team now, which means training needs to be looked at (in my opinion). This doesn't mean things have to necessarily be changed, but I'm more curious as to how the candidates feel the role of NT manager will come into play for the U21 players?

Extremely important since a number of players are going to overlap. That is why whoever wins needs to have a good discussion with Orko and the scouting staff on what to do going forward.

2) How do the candidates feel about total skill points in comparison to specialized players? The talk has been for a while that TSP is one of the most important things to look at for NT players. Well, it is possible to create completely specialized players that have 135+ skill points, but may only be dominate in a few things like PA, SB, REB, etc. What this means is that the scoring skills will be much lower than we currently see on the NT, but we would see truly unique players that can dominate in certain areas. So with that mindset, does TSP really matter or are there set skills per player type that you will be looking for ?

Give me a 160 TSP beast and I don't care what his build is. That said, we have room to use specialized players and builds to take advatage of mismatches. We have even more room to do this with the new training options.

Last edited by khenry at 02/02/2019 12:25:52

I once had a team with 1757 players and was $25,835,360 in debt. This is not that team. Join the Discord group open to anyone, but especially for USA managers to improve your club or get involved with the U21 and NT programs (https://discord.gg/cKpNkt2).

This Post:
297802.6 in reply to 297802.5
Date: 01/30/2019 13:05:39
Flashover
NBBA
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Reuben Jones 2.0
At what point do you think SB comes in handy?

Can you share some thoughts in relation to opponent's IS or in relation to the player's own ID? Should SB be higher than ID for instance? etc. etc.

This Post:
297802.7 in reply to 297802.1
Date: 01/30/2019 13:57:15
Overall Posts Rated:
I have a question. Most National team farms who goes lower than starter and mixes up potential who doesn't take hall of fame or MVP ends up taking 1 per 3 seasons 6th man who ends up becoming a money maker for the under 21 team ends up becoming capped and sales very quickly by the beginning of 21 season. What are you going to do to fix the Under21 potential settings since we already have a under 21 core of scouts what can we do to improve it?

This Post:
297802.8 in reply to 297802.7
Date: 01/30/2019 15:28:22
Greensboro Generals
IV.2
Overall Posts Rated:
I have a question. Most National team farms who goes lower than starter and mixes up potential who doesn't take hall of fame or MVP ends up taking 1 per 3 seasons 6th man who ends up becoming a money maker for the under 21 team ends up becoming capped and sales very quickly by the beginning of 21 season. What are you going to do to fix the Under21 potential settings since we already have a under 21 core of scouts what can we do to improve it?

Huh???

I don't think there is much that can be done about "potential" settings, those who spend more time and loot on scouting tend to unearth those nuggets more easily. What potential really refers to is the high end of the players trainability. Sure a all star, perennial or superstar will not have as high of a ceiling but often those guys have some nice starting attributes built in, and those guys are a little easier to train to a point of viability. But it takes a special patience to coax greatness out of some of the unpolished diamonds. That is why there are plenty of "good" players out there who never get anywhere close to what they could have been.

https://youtu.be/uBiewQrpBBA

This Post:
297802.9 in reply to 297802.8
Date: 01/30/2019 15:56:45
Overall Posts Rated:
Are you a candidate?

This Post:
297802.10 in reply to 297802.6
Date: 02/02/2019 12:27:15
Overall Posts Rated:
My biggest experience with SB comes at the U21 level so I'll use that for my example. I find that SB being within a couple(say 14 ID 12 SB) make the defense better. SB has also been talked about in other forum posts(I don't have them handy so my apologies) on being necessary to run zones.

This Post:
297802.11 in reply to 297802.10
Date: 02/03/2019 10:37:59
Greensboro Generals
IV.2
Overall Posts Rated:
My biggest experience with SB comes at the U21 level so I'll use that for my example. I find that SB being within a couple(say 14 ID 12 SB) make the defense better. SB has also been talked about in other forum posts(I don't have them handy so my apologies) on being necessary to run zones.

Totally concur. ID I feel is about positioning SB the ability to disrupt the shooter. Being someone who has pretty much played only zone for many seasons i notice a big is there to disrupt guards who venture down the lane. But you better have some rebounding as well, especially in a 3-2 or you'll get pounded on the offensive glass