BB New Zealand > [U21] - Season 52

[U21] - Season 52

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
307736.9 in reply to 307736.8
Date: 02/12/2021 08:13:21
Overall Posts Rated:
Game 6 - vs: Singapore: LOSS: 66 - 69 (58466)

We lose to Singapore in a very disappointing match to end the first round of games. We do, however, progress to the second round to which the new groups and schedule of matches has already been out. We shot poorly throughout the whole match, shooting 29% from the field, as well as missing two 3 pointers to take the game to overtime. We must now focus on our second round of matches, starting off against South Korea.

MVPs:
1. Huong Nguyen - 3 votes.
2. Brendon Saxby - 2 votes.
3. Ralph Monk - 1 vote.

Next Game:
vs South Korea. Tune in!

This Post:
307736.10 in reply to 307736.9
Date: 02/18/2021 03:59:17
Overall Posts Rated:
Game 7 - vs: South Korea: WIN: 100 - 59 (59006)

A more happier result this week - a win against South Korea in the second round of the Asian Championship Tournament. We started off shaky, but ended up dominating in the third and fourth quarter. This is a great start to the second round, and we must now focus to the rest of our games to ensure that we finish as best as we can.

MVPs:
1. Brendon Saxby - 3 votes.
2. Ralph Monk - 2 votes.
3. Brody Farmer - 1 vote.

Next Game:
vs Australia. Tune in!

This Post:
307736.11 in reply to 307736.10
Date: 02/22/2021 18:54:24
Overall Posts Rated:
Game 8 - vs: Australia: LOSS: 71 - 84 (59009)

Whilst the final scoreline did not go our way, our fighting spirit did. We went into the second quarter with a three point lead, but an injury quick into the quarter to our starting SG Ralph Monk quickly derailed our momentum of the game, ultimately losing in the fourth quarter after going into the final quarter behind by four points. Whilst it was a disappointing result, we must now look to the future with optimism as we now know that we can compete against the bigger nations in our confederation.

MVPs:
1. Dean Huhtaniemi - 3 votes.
2. Brody Farmer - 2 votes.
3. Epalahame Coleman - 1 vote.

Next Game:
vs Thailand. Tune in!

This Post:
307736.12 in reply to 307736.11
Date: 03/03/2021 18:53:38
Overall Posts Rated:
Game 9 - vs: Thailand: LOSS: 77 - 91 (59010)

Once again, it was another disappointing fourth quarter that let us down. Six points was all we were able to score in the fourth quarter. We now miss out on the repechage and a chance to qualify for the World Cup, so now we must focus on doing well in the Consolation Tourney for a chance to have home court advantage in the next Asian Championship Games in Season 54. Scouting for next season will start soon.

MVPs:
1. Huong Nguyen - 3 votes.
2. Jed Lizotte - 2 votes.
3. Dean Huhtaniemi - 1 vote.

Next Game:
vs Kazakhstan. Tune in!

This Post:
307736.13 in reply to 307736.12
Date: 03/16/2021 04:13:27
Overall Posts Rated:
From what seemed like a promising start... turned disaster. We lose the final two matches of the season, losing to Kazakhstan and the Philippines. The loss to Kazakhstan hurts a lot as it seemed like a guaranteed win - goes to show you can't underestimate any team. The focus now shifts to the offseason process which will begin very soon. This includes scouting players, updating our database on our offsite forum (https://newzealandbb.freeforums.net/ and finalising a team for what I hope will be a very successful season 53. Additionally, a recap, including MVP's and other major milestones of season 52 will also be posted very soon.

Game 10 - vs: Kazakhstan: LOSS: 90 - 97 (59015)

MVPs:
1. Brendon Saxby - 3 votes.
2. Brody Farmer - 2 votes.
3. Vihaan Singh - 1 vote.

Game 11 - vs: Philippines: LOSS: 48 - 84 (59018)

Our scoring was atrocious this game!

MVPs:
1. Ralph Monk - 3 votes.
2. Epalahame Coleman - 2 votes.
3. Brody Farmer - 1 vote.

Note:
Please note that due to the recent inactivity of our now former NT manager, his players who had/has NT/U21 potential is now on the transfer list. If you are interested in training a potentially NT/U21 player, please purchase them.

This Post:
307736.14 in reply to 307736.13
Date: 03/23/2021 00:01:35
Overall Posts Rated:
Game 12 - vs: Thailand NT: LOSS: 80 - 127 (59312)

Yes, you saw it correctly, I accidentally booked a scrimmage against Thailand's NT, thinking it was their U21 team. Nonetheless, it was a good hit out for our Season 53 U21 team, giving out opportunities to players to give them a chance to ball out and show that they should be given consideration for the team. Considering that it was against an NT team, a 47 point loss wasn't bad. It could've been worse to say the least.

MVPs:
1. Ishrant Jagannathan - 3 votes.
2. Brendon Saxby - 2 votes.
3. Xavier Kainth - 1 vote.

Note(s):
- Season 52 review will be published soon!
- Scouting for Season 53 has begun!

This Post:
307736.15 in reply to 307736.14
Date: 03/26/2021 06:37:03
Overall Posts Rated:
Season 52 NZ U21 Review

Season Storyline:

We start the season with a scrimmage win against Thailand. We then win three in a row to start off our Asian Championship campaign - winning against Pakistan, Vietnam and UAE. We continue our winning streak with a scrimmage win against Ecuador. We then close out the first round of the Asian Championship with three straight losses against the Philippines, Taiwan and Singapore. We commence the second round of the Asian Championship with a win against South Korea. We then gave Australia our best shot - losing by 13 points (our best game of the season, albeit a loss). We were the underdogs against Thailand, given our best centre (Epalahame Coleman) was injured, to which we loss which crushed our chance of fighting for a World Cup place in the World Championship Repechage. We then lose our two final games in the second round to Kazakhstan and Philippines.

Overall, it was a disappointing season, given our potential at the start of the season, yet we gave our best, particularly to some of the best nations in this continent given the negative circumstances we were dealt. We are now in the Consolation Tournament for season 53.

MVP:
= 1. Ralph Monk - 14 votes.
= 1. Brendon Saxby - 14 votes.
3. Brody Farmer - 12 votes.
4. Epalahame Coleman - 10 votes.
= 5. Dean Huhtaniemi - 6 votes.
= 5. Huong Nguyen - 6 votes.
= 5. Jed Lizotte - 6 votes.
8. Xavier Kainth - 3 votes.
9. Vihaan Singh - 1 vote.

Congratulations to DAN from team we are the future for training Ralph Monk, as well as Te-Ariki from Manurewa Magic for training Brendon Saxby, who are our dual MVPs for season 52.

Fun Fact: Our dual MVPs will be returning for season 53 :)

Of course, I'd like to thank every other manager who trained an U21 player last season. Whilst a majority of them will return for season 53, our season 52 cohort has been the best group of players I have had at my disposal since I started this role in season 48. Our U21 future looks bright!

Season 53 Preview:

Wow! That was my one-word reaction when I had completed my initial round of scouting. I won't say much because the team will be finalised soon, but be assured that season 53 will be a great one! Hopefully we get a friendly draw so that we have the best chance possible of hosting the season 54 Asian Championships.

Again, I thank everyone involved with the U21 program in season 52. Namely hoddy and thenine, who has assisted with tactics and training their own players. To all NZ BB members, please join our offsite forum here: https://newzealandbb.freeforums.net/

Looking forward to Season 53!

Cheers,
Te-Ariki