NT Season 49-50

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
303721.11 in reply to 303721.10
Date: 03/10/2020 11:13:22
Overall Posts Rated:
I tend to agree with Elmacca on this.

1) some of the options are unclear as to how they'd translate into practice. I'm not clear what 'youth development' would mean really. There is no development from playing NT games other than extra Exp and that's of questionable value compared to skills and even hidden attributes.

2) unless otherwise stated you'd assume the NT manager will try his/her best to achieve the best possible results with the talent pool available. I agree with Elmacca that if this was not the case it should have been outlined before the election so people who wanted something else could field a candidate.

I can respect a NT manager who TIEs every game and does not qualify for further rounds even though I disagree with this strategy, as it often fails but may pay off big, if a number of things go right. However playing a weaker team on purpose is another thing entirely.

Also, playing young players so that 6 seasons down the line they will have higher than average Experience is a weird choice which involves a lot of guesswork. What if the players at 24-25 who will play and get experience in the NT won't be the best available when they are in their prime 4-5 seasons later? Things happen, the players may not be trained as well as others in that period, may get injured, their GS may be generally poor.

If the idea is to train 6-10 monsters for the NT in 10 seasons so that they complement each other (think about the Sweden and Germany NTs with elite shot blockers), that's different, but in that case I'd contend a 6 seasons plan may be ineffective.

Last edited by Lemonshine at 03/10/2020 17:37:58

This Post:
303721.14 in reply to 303721.13
Date: 03/30/2020 14:56:20
Tide of Fire
III.4
Overall Posts Rated:
We have a good team. but we don't have a great team. I don't expect the team to be able to compete at the top level with the current crop. I won't go into details as to why though on a public forum

This Post:
303721.15 in reply to 303721.14
Date: 04/06/2020 14:49:56
Tide of Fire
III.4
Overall Posts Rated:
Well we had a go but lost against a very strong Italy team. Suffice to I didn't want to lose this one as it affects our ability to qualify but I wanted to give us a chance by using a bit more effort.

To no avail sadly, Bora struggled last season for the same reason we struggle this season. We need some of the newer blood to come of age. Please contact me if you are training or planning to train for the NT.

To: Bora
This Post:
303721.17 in reply to 303721.16
Date: 04/10/2020 08:43:28
Overall Posts Rated:
bigs are hard to get on the TL probably we should get some 6'7'-6'8'' guys into proper high TSP PFs and anything 6'8''+ into a PF/C. In hindsight I should have probably done this with Needham, so yeah if the initial suggestion by Vecx was to have a plan for the NT from the 20yo season onwards (after most people have done 1v1 and the training direction can still be significantly controlled) then I'd agree. If I trained Needham to be a PF he would have almost similar TSP, he would reach a lower total in the end, he'd have double the salary, but he would clearly be more useful for the NT it seems. All I needed to do was to drop some DR/HA and OD for ID and RB.

Getting the perfect trainee for a big and especially a C is not easy, if you both want high TSP elite primaries and to contain his salary somewhat (Corral was a good example of a salary efficient big). It is not easy to contain the salary for 2 reasons:
- you will need very low starting SB and to make sure that it stays low. Technically you can punt IS too, but I don't see how a ID/RB/SB stud with subpar IS would crack a NT rotation
- you will need to control JS because that adds a lot of salary and is unlikely to make a big difference if the player plays at C. Unfortunately IS comes in droves as a byproduct of 1v1 and is also needed to train IS faster, so this one is a bit harder of a trade-off.

Last edited by Lemonshine at 04/10/2020 09:01:55

This Post:
303721.19 in reply to 303721.17
Date: 04/10/2020 15:47:40
Overall Posts Rated:
I had Corral the NT player down as part of the problem, not as an example of the solution. Who can he defend?

This Post:
303721.20 in reply to 303721.19
Date: 04/10/2020 20:35:09
Overall Posts Rated:
Just by looking at boxscores Corral has looked like the most efficient offensive player in the NT in a long time. Notably not just with inside tactics. With big men something's gotta give, they will cap even if they are HoF, so you will need to pick your poison, there is no way to have everything. Corral has always played well above the level his TSP and salary should have warranted. And yeah more SB would help at the NT level (debatable how much on a C guarding players with much higher IS and higher JS than his SB, let's assume it does), but it will eat into the cap and increase the salary, so you are not going to have 20 IS or high enough RB. OD is a different story, but the Corral example was about an extremely salary efficient player, who could have easily cost an extra 70k salary with no real performance benefit and a player who's offered on offense much more than he gave up on defense.

RB is interesting at this level though, because it does look a little less impactful that in normal league games, as scoring efficiency is higher (and therefore there are often fewer rebounds available).

Last edited by Lemonshine at 04/10/2020 20:41:35

This Post:
303721.21 in reply to 303721.20
Date: 04/11/2020 04:43:00
Overall Posts Rated:
He's a good scorer but he's not all that for wage efficiency, you have to be a two-way player at that salary. You can make a scorer for around 200k.

I agree it's highly possible to make less efficient players but it concerns me that one of England's better player developers thinks Corral is wage-efficient when I don't think he is.

Last edited by Elmacca at 04/11/2020 04:43:28

Advertisement