This Post:
312732.20 in reply to 312732.17
Date: 12/31/2021 03:41:20
Espoo Seals
SM-Koris
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Espoo Seal Pups
That could be one way to go. Personally I'm trying to make one of my bigs more offensive so I would have at least 4 offensive players on the court. Being homegrown limits me from trying how this works at top level but I hope to see some success at national level.

And yes 3-2 zone is our kryptonite unless you have very good outside offense that can beat 3-2 zone from outside like durma yolcu! is currently doing. Interesting to see if they can cause the first loss of the season to their opponent.

This Post:
312732.21 in reply to 312732.18
Date: 12/31/2021 06:02:08
white snake
Bundesliga
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Black Forest Boars
From my brief review, the main problem that causes the 2-3 and Box-and-One zones to be ineffective is the defensive matchups.

Yeah. What I saw in my analysis was that in the Box defenses your PF and C end up to often as a 3pt defender. And your guards have to defend inside the paint. And most of the time these are mismatches.
But the +1 works most of the time.

According to this, to build a team for a 2-3 zone team, you need:
1. High OD on positions PG, SG, SF, PF
2. High ID on C, PF, SF

With this skillset I would go with a 3-2 or m2m. The risk to run in a decent outside offense is to high. And what is with RB? The 2-3 should also strentghen RB, or? This is one of the two main targets for the 2-3...
1) close the paint for inside tactics
2) pray to the BB God that your opponent misses his mid range or 3pt shot and get the Rebound

It would be great, if there were more choices on the defensive end. I think with the unique skillsets which some managers run, there is still much room left for real defense battles

This Post:
312732.26 in reply to 312732.24
Date: 12/31/2021 13:52:33
kiku
II.1
Overall Posts Rated:
When comparing real basketball zone defense and BB zone defense, a strange result emerges. In basketball, the 3pt line is in the form of an arc. The biggest weakness of the 3-2 zone defense is that corner shooters can easily penalize. (or if the big mans rushed to the corner shooter, the passed pass can create easy scoring chances) If you don't want a 3-point penalty from your opponent and you decide to zone defense, it's actually smarter to do 2-3 zone defense. because the chance of the 3 men defending the back area to block the corner shots is not very low and the chance of the 2 guards in the front to defend the top and wing 3pts is not that low compared to the weakness given in the corner shots.

But according to the BB zone defense design, the three point line is not in the form of an arc, it is straight. This creates a design based on the defense of 3 man three-pointers in the front and 2-man duals in the back. When defensive ratings are examined, it causes 3-2 zone OD to increase and ID to decrease. In 2-3 zones, the opposite happens. So 3 men=OD in the front area, 3 men=ID in the back area. This supports the idea of straight lines. However, there is a 3pt threat in the back area. So yes, logic is flawed, 3-2 zones are overpowered and 2-3 zones are dead. But I'm not comparing it to man2man. I just wanted to draw attention to the fact that the logic of the zone defense was designed incorrectly according to the realities of basketball.

These are my observations of the zone defense logic in BB. Am I wrong or right is debatable. I'm not talking about other types of zone defenses like 2-1-2 or 1-2-1. For the box and one defense, a separate slot (for "one") must be added for the man who will defend the man-to-man, and we must be able to determine the matchup ourselves. I have seen many times that this tactic has very bad results with this form and I have decided not to use it in league matches. I used it in my private league game today. I'll have a look at play-by-play sometime and I'm sure I'll see lots of unrelated switches.

The zone defense is never stuck and static. The players move as a whole by sliding towards the part where the ball and positions are. It expands, contracts, but never remains static. Just as the man is followed in man2man, 5 players follow the ball synchronously in the field defense. I was never sure how much this requirement is given in the zone defense that BB presented to us.

Also, keeping zone defense all game is just too unrealistic. With zone defense, you can surprise the opponent, force them to change their offensive balance, but you always have to allow for some weaknesses. Against a zone defense that spans the entire match, the opponent will immediately figure out how to attack. Of course, this will work against you. I will not delve into this issue now, as we cannot change the fact that BB does not allow tactical changes in-game. If there were in-game changes, the "Patient" threat would also be obsolete, and the OD of the big guys would lose its importance. This triggered unidirectionality in the players. We can imagine multiskill players as having a hidden "mobility" skill. Secondary skills are considered to be of low importance for Zone Defense. There is perhaps a percentage decrease compared to man2man, but not entirely unimportant. Especially when trying to create perfection.

Last edited by kiku at 01/01/2022 05:42:35

This Post:
312732.27 in reply to 312732.26
Date: 01/01/2022 05:45:47
kiku
II.1
Overall Posts Rated:
I made some additions to my post yesterday and shared it in the "analysis" category on my blog.

https://kiku-buzzerbeater.tumblr.com

maybe you want to go in and have a look there too:)

This Post:
312732.28 in reply to 312732.27
Date: 01/02/2022 06:58:05
white snake
Bundesliga
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Black Forest Boars
We are here in the suggestions section, so maybe we could improve the two boxes as a first step. I think this is the easiest or fastest way.

The idea would be:
- let us decide who the +1 defender is. not with the position, but with the player name
- make it possible to decide who the +1 defender should defend, again with the player name
- better arrangement for the box and the other four players. currently the PF/C, who should be near the basket in Inside Box, end up at the top of the 3pt line

Advertisement