BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Canada > Oops, I guess that wasn't a good strategy

Oops, I guess that wasn't a good strategy

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 03/28/2010 00:40:33
Overall Posts Rated:
My strategy for last year in Div III was to try and get pretty close to last, spend 40k/week on scouting, and pick up another hot prospect to add to the two I'm already training. Not a good strategy - the guy I got was good, but not good enough for me to say it was worth my while. Now my fans are pissed, my first game in Div IV was only 42% full (after being > 97% every game last year), and I have zip to show for it. Oh well, good learning I guess.

I think I've gotten a little bit caught up in the "I want to get a player on the U21 team or maybe even National Team one day". If I had just kept the players I had at the start of Season 11 and continued to train them, I'd probably be knocking on the door of Div II by now! Sacriligious as it might sound, I'm even thinking of going back to two position training!

Anyone else found they've focused on developing one or two players, to the overall detriment of their team's fortunes?

This Post:
137923.2 in reply to 137923.1
Date: 03/28/2010 00:59:02
Overall Posts Rated:
I've found that you only really have to suffer for one season when developing players. The way I've done it is to train 3 players but not so that all 3 are rookies at the same time. 3 seasons ago I drafted a good player ahead of my first season in Div II and single position trained him at PG even though it wasn't his best position. Then I ended up tanking when I realised my team was quite poor and got a really good high draft pick. By then the first player I was developing was good enough to be a pretty good Div III player and my team only suffered a little bit when my new rookie played PG, but we were still good enough to get promoted. Then I bought a 3rd player to develop and I played him only in cup/scrimmages but my 2 other developing players were good enough to start in Div II and for my team to be quite successful.

So I think the key is to only have one 18 year old rookie on your team at a time that you are developing so that your team can still be quite successful during the regular season. Oh and don't spend too much on scouting because it is a complete and utter crap shoot. I know I got lucky a couple of times but you might be better off just spending $10k a week and use the money you save to buy players to improve your squad.

This Post:
137923.3 in reply to 137923.2
Date: 03/28/2010 11:59:35
Overall Posts Rated:
Yeah, I won't be spending 40k ever again. Since I'm in Div 4, with a high bot factor, I'll probably spend 20k rather than 10k. I have a couple million in the bank anyways, so the 10k a week won't hurt. I like the idea of staggering the ages of your trainees, thanks.