USA - V.72 > Season 16 playoffs

Season 16 playoffs

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 07/12/2011 10:15:22
Overall Posts Rated:
Playoff preview:

Tonight the League V.72 playoffs commence, as eight teams start on the road to League Championship!

In the Great 8 conference, fourth seeded Mr. Winless brings his 15-7 record into league leader Lowcountry Magic's (21-1) Palace. The Magic's only defeat this season came at the hands of Mr. Winless, 93-96, in the first game of the season. Yet the tables were turned in the teams' second matchup, with the Magic winning 95-77, as the Magic significantly altered their roster. The Magic have excellent gameshape, and given their home court advantage, it's hard to see how Mr. Winless will prevail. But, there's a reason these things don't get decided until after the game is played!

The other matchup in Great 8 features GEMEDI's minnesotagreeners (18-4) hosting the Superstorm (16-6). The teams' two matches this season were won by the greeners, by just 3 and 2 points. This figures to be a high scoring affair, as both teams bring strong Princeton based offenses into the game, and are the top 2 scoring teams in the league. The winner might be whoever plays the better defense: Superstorm's full court press versus what the greeners' coach decides to employ.

Over in the Big 8, top seeded Texas Longhorns (18-4) will face the Knoxville Eagles (11-11). The Longhorns feature a strong outside attack, anchored by their backcourt of Maresca, Pascarella and Magne. They are also buoyed by excellent gameshape. The Eagles lost both meetings against the Longhorns, but may have the advantage in enthusiasm. Can they pull off an upset?

The other Big 8 game has Njord's Hakarl (17-5) hosting Alliance Knight (13-9). The Hakarl have allowed the second fewest points in the league this season, yet their mediocre offense is only ranked 9th. The Hakarl did win both games this year, but can they make it a hat trick and defeat the Knight's press?

Who will advance, and whose season will end tonight? Tune in to find out!

And let's hear people's predictions.

This Post:
189446.2 in reply to 189446.1
Date: 07/12/2011 10:24:50
Overall Posts Rated:
Predictions:

I'm going with the Magic over Mr Winless. I just can't see it happening any other way. The Magic play the best defense, have the third ranked offense, have the gameshape, enthusiasm, and homecourt advantage.

the greeners versus Superstorm is a real tough one to call. The enthusiasm is the same, on gameshape the Superstorm have the advantage (neither team is good here though), but the greeners have better depth beyond the starters, and they have homecourt. I'm going greeners, but I expect it will be close.

For the Longhorns versus the Eagles, I have to go with the Longhorns. Better gameshape, better topline starters, homecourt. The Eagles' enthusiasm advantage isn't going to be enough.

And in my game, of course I'm going with my team! We just bathed in rotting shark meat, you can't defend us! :)

This Post:
189446.3 in reply to 189446.2
Date: 07/12/2011 16:48:24
Overall Posts Rated:
predictions:

My team over Mr Winless.

I'm going to make a bold prediction and say that superstorm will win against the greeners in a close game, since their matchups have been close this season

Longhorns over Eagles. Better lineup and gameshape

Hakarl over Alliance Knight. defense for the win!

This Post:
189446.4 in reply to 189446.3
Date: 07/15/2011 15:21:50
Overall Posts Rated:
Alright, tomorrow the semifinals arrive!

In the Great 8, LowCountry Magic will host Superstorm, following their big win over the greeners. Can the old Polish Powderkeg Bzdzikot lead his team to victory over the powerhouse of league V.72, despite losing both regular season matchups this year? The oddsmakers in Vegas don't give them too much of a chance, but we will see come Saturday.

In the Big 8, the Texas Longhorns will host the Hakarl. These two teams split the season series, with the Longhorns winning a close game at home just a couple weeks ago. Can the Hakarl rebound from that loss and make a trip to the league finals? Or will the Big 8 be represented by Texas and their strong backcourt? Tune in to find out!

This Post:
189446.5 in reply to 189446.4
Date: 07/15/2011 17:26:54
Overall Posts Rated:
woooooooooooo!!!!!! so excited for the game!

This Post:
189446.6 in reply to 189446.5
Date: 07/17/2011 11:19:03
Overall Posts Rated:
It's go time Magic!

Though I put my money on you to win. You've done an excellent job this year.

This Post:
189446.7 in reply to 189446.6
Date: 07/24/2011 07:39:30
Overall Posts Rated:
Congratulations to GMaster8 and his squad the Lowcountry Magic on winning the finals in 2 games, and winning League V.72!

We stuck with you a tad better last night than game one, but just couldn't overcome your team! Best of luck in D.IV.