BuzzerBeater Forums

USA - NBBA > Let's meet our new Neighbor!

Let's meet our new Neighbor!

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 06/13/2013 16:32:55
Arizona Desert Storm
IV.2
Overall Posts Rated:
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vV_we0kSls)

As we begin another season, we have 4 new Team Owners that are joining the league, and I thought it might be a good idea to get to know them a little better :-) Starting off with 10inch Vertical's owner, SaulTnuts, I traveled to Kentucky to sit and visit with him. I offered to fly him out to Phoenix for this sit down, but he said it's too hot this time of year, and he couldn't stand being away from his sister....I know what you are thinking...but I just let it go, I didn't ask!

So, after arriving in Kentucky, SaulTnuts took me to his favorite restaurant and we chatted for a bit. Here is our conversation:

1. After spending 117 seasons in II.4, how big of a relief, and sense of accomplishment is promoting to the NBBA for you?

The NBBA has been my goal since I started back in season 7, so I’m very happy to have made it. I’ve seen lots of teams from my old DIII.13 league make it before me (Milwaukee Lethargy, Bullish Mentality, Fighting Kelts…I’m probably missing somebody). It can’t be my fault, so I blame II.4…and yes, I’m disregarding the fact that Bullish Mentality entered II.4 after me and promoted before me. Just call it denial.

2. Will you miss anything about II.4?

Nothing…next question. Just kidding, like I mentioned in my previous post, the competition and people were great. I enjoyed it...for a very, very long time (but not as long as Pappy).

3. You come in with one of the top payrolls in the NBBA from day 1 and ratings that are quite impressive...What are your goals for season 1?

I can’t maintain my payroll. I’ve been trying to figure out my budget for the season, and what players I need to swap out. I’m trying to walk the tight rope between competing and losing money, and I feel like I’m losing my balance.

4. Are you married, any kids?

I’m old--not Pappy old, but I’m getting up there (sorry Pappy, I couldn’t resist). I’ve been married for 22 years, and have 15 and 13 year old boys.

5. Do you believe the rumors that King Drive Ballers is actually run by Donald Trump using the boring Alias of "Brian"?

I’m big on capitalism, so more power to Trump/Brian and his giant wad of cash.

6. What's your favorite part of BB?

I like seeing those nice little green arrows on Fridays. Training guards has always been my thing, and I really enjoy it. Beating the Arizona Desert Storm is a close second though…

7. What bugs you the most about BB?

I hate injuries and I think they have no place in the game. I’ve complained about injuries for many seasons, and I know many people disagree, and that’s ok, but I hate ‘em.

8. Do you play any sports in Real Life?

I gave up softball a few years ago, but I still play in an over-40 basketball league. It ain’t pretty, but it’s fun.

9. What's one "strange" fact about you that nobody knows?

Ok, this is silly, but I find it fun to ride on this little moped: (http://tinyurl.com/mk93rql). I look like a complete dbag, but I don’t care.

10. What's your initial impression of the financial aspects of being the NBBA?

Ooh, I’m not sure about this…I’m still trying to figure this one out.

11. Not to put you on the spot, but what would your top 5 teams in the NBBA heading into the new season?

I gotta go with FTF, KDB, Rocket Science, and Airballers. I also think czobo’s team looks really good.

12. How do you feel your time in II.4 prepares you for life in the NBBA?

It helped me learn how to train while winning games and making money…I hope I can do the same thing in the NBBA without getting my ass handed to me.

13. Is there any particular long time NBBA franchise that you have followed over the "years"?

There’s not any certain franchise, but all of the long-term teams, like KDB, Silverbacks, LMA, a

This Post:
243906.2 in reply to 243906.1
Date: 06/13/2013 16:33:20
Arizona Desert Storm
IV.2
Overall Posts Rated:
14. What do you do for a living?

I write software for UPS (yes, the shipping company, and no, it’s not exciting). My wife and I also own rental property (and she does most of the managerial work…thank God).

15. What is your favorite NBA team?

I was a big Jazz fan when Karl Malone/John Stockton played there…since then, I don’t really have a team, but I like the NBA, and watch as much as possible.

16. Do you, or have you played any other sports sim games?

Nope, I’ve played lots of games, but I don’t really have time these days, so BB is it for me.

17. Who is your all time favorite 10inch Vertical player, and why?

This guy: (13442244), I trained him up, sold him for a bunch of cash, then used the cash to fund my run to the NBBA. While I’m at it, here’s my most hated player: (14645339). The dude can’t step on the court without fouling out.

18. Aside from the obvious, is there any meaning or significance to your team name?

What if I said it has nothing to do with my vertical leap?

19. Obviously you have a lot of friends in D2, and probably lower divisions as well....who are the top 3 teams you are strongly rooting for to join you in the NBBA some day?

Dog River Riverdogs (if anyone deserves it, he does), Window Lickers (college buddy), and Chicken Hawks (coworker).

20. You are a long time veteran of this game, and clearly know what you are doing...but are there any Players along the way that either mentored you or that you learned from to help shape your beliefs and strategies to get you to this point?

I got to DII on my own, and I made a ton of mistakes along the way. Once I reached DII, I joined Pappy’s Fed (Audacity of Hoop), and I’ve learned a ton from Pappy and the guys. Also, I’ve learned a huge amount from the NT offsite. I don’t participate very often, but like to read the game strategy threads…and the tools are incredible.

21. Feel free to add anything you would like to say to the league:

If anyone has any advice, I’m all ears.

This Post:
243906.3 in reply to 243906.2
Date: 06/13/2013 17:14:24
Overall Posts Rated:
9. What's one "strange" fact about you that nobody knows?

Ok, this is silly, but I find it fun to ride on this little moped: (http://tinyurl.com/mk93rql). I look like a complete dbag, but I don’t care.

That's a fukin awesome moped!

This Post:
243906.4 in reply to 243906.2
Date: 06/13/2013 17:33:30
Overall Posts Rated:
I don’t participate very often, but like to read the game strategy threads…and the tools are incredible.

As one of the biggest tools there, I'd like to say that SaulT is pretty incredible too.

This Post:
243906.7 in reply to 243906.6
Date: 06/13/2013 18:46:14
Overall Posts Rated:
Wait, that sounds like a complement, but I think you're calling me a an incredibly big tool.

Isn't that what the 10 inch vertical is about?

This Post:
243906.8 in reply to 243906.5
Date: 06/13/2013 20:37:02
Overall Posts Rated:
this is great, ive been thinking of switching to a scooter when my crappy old car dies but am concerned about looking like a [more of] a douche. i feel empowered.

"Well, no ones gonna top that." - http://tinyurl.com/noigttt
This Post:
243906.10 in reply to 243906.5
Date: 06/14/2013 05:43:02
Milwaukee Lethargy
II.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Miłwaukee Lethargy
I gave up softball a few years ago, but I still play in an over-40 basketball league. It ain’t pretty, but it’s fun.

I need to manage your team!!! You've seen what I can do with the 40+ crowd.

This Post:
243906.11 in reply to 243906.6
Date: 06/14/2013 09:16:58
Overall Posts Rated:
Wait, that sounds like a complement, but I think you're calling me a an incredibly big tool.

Nope, I'm saying that I'm the incredibly big tool and speaking on behalf of the other big tools on the offsite. But I see how it could be taken the other way. (That's what I tried to get her to say!)