BuzzerBeater Forums

Philippines - III.13 > The Holster: The Official Press Releases Thread of the Bacoor Blades

The Holster: The Official Press Releases Thread of the Bacoor Blades

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
244179.132 in reply to 244179.131
Date: 08/16/2014 10:09:07
Overall Posts Rated:
New-look frontcourt in full effect as Blades destroy Crossbones

League III.13 Elimination Round
Crossbones @ Bacoor Blades
22:08

With a second quarter defensive effort, the Bacoor Blades defined a game, dominating Crossbones to the tune of 102-50 at The Bacoor Forum.

The win makes it five straight League wins and keeps them in the hunt for a playoff spot. And with the loss of NuRSing_AvENgeRS, the gap between the two teams has been narrowed down to just a single game.

After a close first quarter, the Cavite-based franchise limited their visitors to just five points in the second, furthering their lead to 41-18 by the end of the first half. Continuous inside incursions by Marco Montixi, Kelly Paul and Eugenio Genco provided the punch that padded the lead even further as the game looked out of reach at the onset of the second half.

The frontcourt trio combined for 66 points and 66 rebounds as all three players notched 20-20 performances for the squad in the convincing victory. The dominant win by Bacoor came despite a meager performance from Gabor Martinovics, who only had seven points.

"This lineup is a potent, no doubt." said team manager TheDogMan. "We made efforts to try and mitigate the loss of talent from transfers, and here we are."

When asked about this being his perfect lineup, TheDogMan was quick to dispel it.

"There is no perfect lineup. Teams will always have to sacrifice something for the sake of the other. We have ours too, but instead it's an investment for the future."

"We hope that this keeps up. The desire of this team to compete is still there despite the changes made. And we're starting to believe again." said Kelly Paul.

The Blades are now 6-5 for the season, the first time they went over .500 in the campaign. And though things are looking up, the challenges ahead are to get tougher. They face Great 8 second-seed Selrahc before turning their attention to Division II team Spiders Embrace in their Round 6 National Tournament assignment.

This Post:
244179.133 in reply to 244179.132
Date: 08/18/2014 02:41:30
Overall Posts Rated:
The Holster Feature: The Marco Montixi Effect

The Holster Headquarters
Bacoor Blades
14:41

It was a controversial acquisition, not necessarily with the player involved nor the way he was acquired, which was amicable. But rather with the sequence of events that was triggered by his arrival to the Blades camp.

32-year old Marco Montixi came to the Bacoor Blades, sending shockwaves throughout the organization, the team and the community. The team that was supposed to be on a rebuilding phase took a quick reboot and made a bid for the 6'11" Italian.

"I remember getting the call from my agent. I was at home with my family when he told me I was going to the Philippines." recalled Montixi.
After the initial announcement, Montixi was immediately patched to team manager TheDogMan for a short briefing. He was later issued a ticket for a flight to the Philippines and was guided all the way by the Blades' head either by phone or through the internet.

"He really did everything to create a welcoming atmosphere. And when I arrived, it was even better because the team's fans were quick to note that I was there already." recalled Montixi.

The acquisition was big for the organization, who nearly waved the white flag in terms of acquiring a bigtime center that could pillar the roster for the near future. They already had a training program in place which sacrificed their backcourt rotation to rookies as well as their once-vaunted frontcourt being put on the wire.

"I was told of everything that happened here over the last few weeks." admitted Montixi. "But as drastic as these changes were, I guess the good thing is that they actually did it within one season." Montixi added. "Had they gone through with a longer process, the community might have grown impatient given the recent success of the team."

The controversy went fever pitch when Enrique Verastegui, who was acquired by the Blades just mere days before Montixi, was axed by the team to accommodate his arrival. Montixi offered his comments about the matter.

"I've never met him personally, but as a fellow professional baller, it's gotta be tough to go through that and put your career in limbo." Montixi said.

"I wish we could have been put together as a frontcourt duo. We could have made a good combination but I guess the team had other plans about that." he said, as management currently has him paired with longtime Blades forward Kelly Paul. "You just don't want your fellow players to suffer things like that. But those are things that are out of our hands sometimes."

Since his arrival, the Blades have had some stability on their bigman rotation, which had to compensate with Gabor Martinovics at power forward and Kelly Paul at center with Eugenio Genco still down with an injury. "I was told about how they had to deal with makeshift lineups for game this season. I am glad to be of help at that department for a start."

But the Italian was quick to state that his purpose is not just to be another set of legs or six personal fouls that the Cavite-based franchise can expend.

"I want to be a contributor inside. I know it will not be as quick as I would want it to be, but I am hoping it will be one day."

Despite the hesitation to admit it, the impact of Montixi is quickly felt. In the two games that he played in the League so far, he has averaged 20 points and 18 rebounds, while also blocking 2.5 shots a game.

With his production inside, the Blades have found a saving grace to their campaign. While being able to get by with their team in their early win streak, the addition of Montixi was a proof that the Blades were not to lay down and die for the season. They shall attempt to climb back to playoff contention with the continuation of the League as they begin the second round of eliminations.