Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
204270.19 in reply to 204270.18
Date: 1/9/2012 8:57:39 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Marin.
I have a suggestion to make:

1 - Example: Rui Pedro (names) da Cruz (surname)
Now appears as "R. P. d. Cruz" :(

2 - Example: Nuno (name) de Andrade (surname)
Now shows: "N. d. Andrade" :(
Before: "N. de Andrade" :)

Why not having it abreviated to: "R. Cruz" and "N. Andrade" - wich means cutting the last one of the names and showing only the last name that belong to player's surname.
Or, the same logic, but leaving the name's inicials with the last surname: "R.P. Cruz".

Like for example:Patrick Jones (names) Smith Jackson (surnames).
Result in match viewer: P. Jackson ou P.J. Jackson (I vote for this last one).

In the final boxscores would stay as in present.

Just an idea for discussion.
Regards to all.

This Post:
204270.20 in reply to 204270.19
Date: 1/9/2012 10:04:11 AM
TrenseRI
III.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
ChiLeaders
This Post:
204270.21 in reply to 204270.18
Date: 1/9/2012 11:57:27 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
edit to add : in your team, I count 0 composed first names and 3 composed last names.

Only two, actually. Hassan Ibn-Anwar is considered by the GE like a one word surname.

As for Joannes Van Sumere, what do you prefer: "J. V. Sumere" or "J. Van Sum..."?

"F. L. Meunier" or F. Le Meu..."?

"J. S. Bach" or "J. Sebastien B..."

I still think it's better, and I though it would help a lot of people, especially in Spanish countries, since every other first-name is more than one word there and it always takes up the space of the surname in the game viewer ("J. Manuel Cal..")

"Air is beautiful, yet you cannot see it. It's soft, yet you cannot touch it. Air is a little like my brain." - Jean-Claude Van Damme
This Post:
204270.22 in reply to 204270.21
Date: 1/9/2012 12:25:23 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
You still think it's better. But why ?

It won't make it easier to look for a player and it will be, in most cases, incorrect because, in most cases, you don't shorten last names.

Ideally, you'd want only first names to be shortened but apparently Marin can't do it. Or "customizable" names but we don't have it. Or displaying only the last names in the viewer but it might create the odd problem with 2 players with the same last name in a team.

Van can be shorten to v. but De or Le or Ben Abdel or bin or Guo can't.
There should be a contextual solution to make it perfect but I understand it is difficult.
In Spain, you don't cut one of the last names. For practical reasons, you can possibly skip them.
J. Manuel or even José M. is acceptable I think in the lack of a better solution while there is no way you can accept Ben Abdel Aziz to be reduced to B.A. Aziz.

All right, it doesn't matter, I will deal with it ;)

This Post:
204270.23 in reply to 204270.22
Date: 1/9/2012 1:16:02 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I get what you're saying. In real life you NEVER shorten "Le" or "Du" or "Van" in a surname.

But in a first name, you never shorten only the first word like "J. Baptiste" either.

Van can be shorten to v. but De or Le or Ben Abdel or bin or Guo can't.

They're the same. "Van" means "Du" like in "Du Chateau" and I believe Ben or Bin mean "the son of". All these common prefixes should follow the same rule.

At the end of the day, my main concern is being able to see the surname fully when possible. If it was "J. Sebastien Bach" it wouldn't be as bad. Unfortunately because "Sebastien" is such a long word, there isn't enough room for "Bach" and it becomes "J. Sebastien B..." in the game viewer. THAT's my main issue.

Both systems have problems. My opinion is the new one is better, but I respect yours ;)

"Air is beautiful, yet you cannot see it. It's soft, yet you cannot touch it. Air is a little like my brain." - Jean-Claude Van Damme
This Post:
204270.24 in reply to 204270.23
Date: 1/9/2012 1:52:30 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Everyone respects other opinions here, this is the least expected in a civil discussion. Was there any doubt about it at some point ? :)

I know what van means. It's a different case, you can shorten to v. in dutch, search Robin v. Persie. It's a correct spelling of the name. It's different from De, Ben etc...
The perfect solution should know all these subtleties. It's difficult because BB deals with names from all around the world.

Aside from opinions, I still don't understand why you factually think it's better. You want to see the surname fully when possible ? My C. Ben Abdel Aziz has become C. B.A. Aziz, you see less of the name. That's what I am trying to say, I understand what bothers you but the chosen solution corrects it in some cases and creates it in others. Only now, on top of it, it cuts full names.

For the record, I have two first names and two last names, one of my last names is composed so that makes 5 words. I don't fit in the viewer :'(
I think the jury can take me as an expert on the matter :p

This Post:
204270.25 in reply to 204270.24
Date: 1/9/2012 3:19:49 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Didn't know about the Van thing. I'm just a french guy living in Brussels and I don't speak any flemish/dutch, unfortunately. But I mean, it's quite natural and self-evident to shorten common prefixes, so for De and Du, "D." would still make a lot of sense (even it it's still two characters and there isn't much gain of space). For a name like "Kosciusko Morizet", though, it's a lot less natural. However it's still very practical because "K. Morizet" immediately registers as "Kosciusko Morizet" in my brain if I previously knew the name. On the other hand, "Kosc..." might require quite a bit more time for me to realize who we're talking about.

But since you're the expert..

PS to developers: Don't be afraid to revert back to the original system if you feel that it's the way to go. I'm sure most people haven't noticed the change yet anyway.

This Post:
204270.26 in reply to 204270.25
Date: 1/10/2012 4:24:12 AM
TrenseRI
III.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
ChiLeaders
Reverting is easy, I just want to see what you guys agree upon in the end.

This Post:
204270.27 in reply to 204270.20
Date: 1/10/2012 6:34:00 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
So, no one likes my poll idea?
I do !

This Post:
204270.28 in reply to 204270.27
Date: 1/11/2012 11:21:09 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I do !

Me too!

Le forum francophone dédié à Buzzerbeater : (http://buzzerbeaterfrance.forumpro.fr/) Vous y trouverez conseils et partage
This Post:
204270.29 in reply to 204270.28
Date: 1/11/2012 3:32:55 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I do !

Me too!

me too!

Advertisement