Salary increase

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
137009.4 in reply to 137009.3
Date: 03/24/2010 12:47:05
Overall Posts Rated:
Another one from BB-Charles in a fed that I am in:

There seemed to be an expectation by the BB's that the top teams would compete for titles by buying the highest salary players. That hasn't happened and the top teams are the ones that have built quality across their lineup more evenly.

Actually, our expectation was that top division teams would compete by buying the highest salary players - there's a difference. The idea is actually that buying a monster is a quick way for a team who has salary space but not a ridiculous amount of cash (i.e., a newly promoted team or one just avoiding relegation and ready for an upgrade) to quickly become competitive. My experience with one of the first of these one-player teams has been that it was a great way to stay afloat in USA's division II (when about 60% of my salary budget was for one player competing against teams on similar budgets) but was ultimately a strategy that would not let me progress further. To get better, I finally had to go backwards and lose some games while redesigning the team.

In many ways, it's like enthusiasm management that includes several regular-season crunch times. It's a good way to claw your way to around 9-13 and a decent chance to stay up, but it's probably not going to get you to the B3 anytime soon.

Run of the Mill Canadian Manager
This Post:
137009.5 in reply to 137009.4
Date: 03/24/2010 13:33:25
Overall Posts Rated:
I expanded my arena as much as possible 3-4 seasons ago, so that when the time was right, I could afford to have a couple monster salary players on my team (as I do now). This season will be the first that I'm making nearly no money each week (unless I make changes). With better results, my team should be able to pull in more income... though had my team come in 3rd, 4th or 5th last season, I may have had to sell one of Domzal or Moran due to the weeks with no home games. However by coming 6th, I got over 800k in gate receipts from my relegation series with Molson Canadians... and I am able to finish in the black at the end of the season. However, I will probably need to try in my cup games this season, to offset the extra costs in player salaries... though I will continue to keep out key players in cup games, if they pull in too many minutes during my league games (as I did last season).

This Post:
137009.6 in reply to 137009.5
Date: 03/24/2010 14:04:36
Overall Posts Rated:
What sort of impact do people think this is going to have on the transfer market as a whole?
Obviously the mono-skilled monsters in the $100k+ salary range are going to be harder to move with their salary increases, but it looks like salaries went up across the board. Do people think that the $15k -$25k per week players will cost less on the transfer market in the immediate future? What about prospects?

This Post:
137009.7 in reply to 137009.5
Date: 03/24/2010 14:20:23
Overall Posts Rated:
I would not say that Moran is a "monster salary player", at least not yet. I think if you are in Naismith and you don't have at least one player like that, you are in a bit of trouble this season. Domzal I would be inclined to agree, though.

This Post:
137009.8 in reply to 137009.6
Date: 03/24/2010 14:26:11
Overall Posts Rated:
$100k+ salary range are going to be harder to move with their salary increases

I would go higher than that and again it seems to vary by position. I noted that one of the best PGs in the world still commanded over 9 million this week (with a salary of 300K+).

I suspect that everything will trickle down but it could take some time. I have certainly noticed a down turn in the market, even before the salary increase, but others said I was wrong. I personally think there is more supply than ever in the 80k+ range and that is probably reducing the prices more than anything. For example, I noted that prices for balanced PGs and PFs have basically not been impacted at all. But they certainly have taken a turn for SGs and Cs.

This Post:
137009.9 in reply to 137009.7
Date: 03/24/2010 15:36:50
Overall Posts Rated:
I think if you are in Naismith and you don't have at least one player like that, you are in a bit of trouble this season.

uh oh

This Post:
137009.10 in reply to 137009.9
Date: 03/24/2010 17:49:10
Overall Posts Rated:

uh oh

There is always at least one exception to the rule, though. ;-)

This Post:
137009.11 in reply to 137009.8
Date: 03/24/2010 18:19:55
Overall Posts Rated:
The New Brunswick Maddogs in II.1 just sold their 150k PG and he went for just over $9.5 million about 2 days ago. And I have Teo up to see what kind of offers I can get on him for the future

Canada NT Manager
This Post:
137009.12 in reply to 137009.11
Date: 03/24/2010 19:30:27
Overall Posts Rated:
The New Brunswick Maddogs in II.1 just sold their 150k PG and he went for just over $9.5 million about 2 days ago. And I have Teo up to see what kind of offers I can get on him for the future

Well, it is like I said. In my recent shopping experience I have not noticed much of a price drop for PFs and PGs... On the other hand, I have noticed a definite drop for SGs and Cs, especially if they have higher salaries.

I am glad to see that the PG the Maddogs had up went for $9.5 million. It makes me feel like I got value for my money with Turcan.

This Post:
137009.14 in reply to 137009.13
Date: 03/25/2010 13:50:41
Overall Posts Rated:

I don't recall saying anything about mono-skilled beasts specifically. What I did say is that over a long period of time all the top teams in the game will eventually have at least one or two HOF/ATG players that have been trained up really high. With the latest salary increase it seems like this may happen later rather than sooner.

Perhaps I misinterpreted what you were saying - I don't have time to go back and look now.

In any case, unless there is a significant change in the salary structure going forward (which seems unlikely at this juncture), my opinion is that these fully trained HOF/ATG players will be completely useless, anyways. They will bounce around from team to team and constantly have game shape problems. You will see from some of the NT discussion out there that managers are already thinking they will have a tough choice ahead as to whether or not they keep these players on their roster.

So, like I said in the debate before, ATG potential is pretty much useless. I would not waste too much time scouring BB for these guys. The only exception will be players that are multi-skilled enough to make their high salaries worthwhile.

Advertisement