BB Global (English) > New Tactics in Game Manual

New Tactics in Game Manual

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
178279.6 in reply to 178279.5
Date: 03/24/2011 12:52:54
Overall Posts Rated:
it's a 5 minute job, surely. if the level of clarity they are aiming for is anywhere near what is currently written e.g. for "Princeton", I would even argue that they should be able to do it in 4....

so funny ... so true...

This Post:
178279.7 in reply to 178279.6
Date: 03/24/2011 19:06:25
1986 Celtics
IV.31
Overall Posts Rated:
Box-and-one: four players play in the zone defense protecting the basket and the fifth player plays a man-to-man defense guarding the best offensive player on the other team, which should prevent him from scoring as much. You can specify whether you want to focus the defender on the best inside or outside player.

Isolation: The team will try to find their best offensive player and clear out an area for him to create his own shot. You can specify whether you want this player to be the best inside or outside player.

This Post:
178279.9 in reply to 178279.7
Date: 03/24/2011 20:20:28
Overall Posts Rated:
Box-and-one: four players play in the zone defense protecting the basket and the fifth player plays a man-to-man defense guarding the best offensive player on the other team, which should prevent him from scoring as much. You can specify whether you want to focus the defender on the best inside or outside player.

Isolation: The team will try to find their best offensive player and clear out an area for him to create his own shot. You can specify whether you want this player to be the best inside or outside player.

Does that mean the best player is the one with higher matchup rating(best scorer) or is some other criteria, like salary/rating, etc?

This Post:
178279.10 in reply to 178279.9
Date: 03/25/2011 08:51:54
Overall Posts Rated:
Does that mean the best player is the one with higher matchup rating(best scorer) or is some other criteria, like salary/rating, etc?

This is an excellent question, one worthy of an informed reply--not speculation.

This Post:
178279.11 in reply to 178279.9
Date: 03/25/2011 09:51:23
Overall Posts Rated:
Having used this tactic in 5 games (outside ISO) and observed another 5-10,it's quite clear that it focuses on the best match-up...

e.g.If your guards face a very strong OD,most of the shots will go to the big men(assuming they have adequate JS/JR and are defended by low OD big men)

I want what all men want...I just want it more.
This Post:
178279.12 in reply to 178279.11
Date: 03/25/2011 12:14:31
Overall Posts Rated:
Having used this tactic in 5 games (outside ISO) and observed another 5-10,it's quite clear that it focuses on the best match-up...

e.g.If your guards face a very strong OD,most of the shots will go to the big men(assuming they have adequate JS/JR and are defended by low OD big men)

See, for my point of view things are more complicated than that. I assume all tactics are desing to take the ball to where best matchups are being created.

My question intented to give some light under other aspects of tactics as well, for instance and in these two particular tactics, when you talk about inside foucs what are you talking about? The best inside player(read C or PF, perhaps SF) with better scoring chances(better matchup, wich is calculated not only by their inside shots but also their jump shots from all distances) is the one being isolated? or is the best player(of the five in court) with the best inside scoring chances(this is not the matchup but a component of it) who is being isolated? And later, is being isolated for what kind of shots? Inside shots? Outside shots? Any kind of shots and "focus" is only used to choose who the isolted player will be?

Since that seems to be too much information to ask to a BB, also very specific, I made a more broader question in order to have some oficial ground to start speculating not because I don't value your(or others) experience, but because there are a lot of question to start with.

Last edited by Zero, the Magi. at 03/25/2011 12:16:01

This Post:
178279.13 in reply to 178279.10
Date: 03/26/2011 12:47:30
Overall Posts Rated:
This is not the kind of information that the BBs give out. You can figure this out for yourself, if you are interested enough to do so. There are several threads regarding the new tactics and even a federation dedicated to the investigation of how the new tactics work. Good luck!

Once I scored a basket that still makes me laugh.
This Post:
178279.14 in reply to 178279.13
Date: 03/27/2011 12:21:24
Overall Posts Rated:
This is not the kind of information that the BBs give out. You can figure this out for yourself, if you are interested enough to do so. There are several threads regarding the new tactics and even a federation dedicated to the investigation of how the new tactics work. Good luck!

I no longer have much interest in BB, so I won't take you up on your challenge.

Getting answers like this is one the top three reasons I continue to lose interest in BB.

The other two are the poor modeling of stamina in this simulation--players play too many minutes compared to real pro ball.

The third reason also relates to stamina, I suppose. The inability to have real life substitution patterns so you can keep fresh players in the game. I have studied sub patterns for many seasons, and I'm mystified at the lack of realism.

I could explain further, but no one will read and respond, so why bother?

As you pointed out, that is the way of the BBs.

This Post:
178279.15 in reply to 178279.14
Date: 03/27/2011 13:09:06
Overall Posts Rated:
Sorry to hear that you no longer have much interest in BB. It will be too bad to lose an active member of the forum community.

What sort of answer would make you gain interest in BB? The game is the way it is- managers will not be spoon fed the workings of the game. A lot of players, myself included, like it this way. If you do not, there isn't much to be done.

As far as the stamina issues go, I don't have a problem with them. My starters play about 30-34 minutes a game which is pretty much standard for the nba.
(http://www.cbssports.com/nba/stats/leaders/regularseason/...)

On your team, Ostrowski plays 35 minutes, Penteado plays 37, and no one else plays more than 30. Do you wish your players played more minutes, or less?

There are ways to have players play more or fewer minutes. Granted they might not be as realistic as being able to pull a guy whenever the coach feels like it as happens in real life, but this isn't real life. By manipulating the lineups and substitution choices I can get guys consistently between 20 and 48 minutes, depending on what I want or need them to play.

Finally, your final two sentences are very defeatist and negative, which is too bad. There are many people who will read and respond to your posts. I wasn't challenging you in my initial response to your post, I was trying to help you out by giving you options.

Last edited by somdetsfinest at 03/27/2011 13:12:25

Once I scored a basket that still makes me laugh.
This Post:
178279.16 in reply to 178279.14
Date: 03/28/2011 04:45:01
Overall Posts Rated:
I think what the GM meant was that part of the challenge of this game is to figure out how things work for yourself and then use your understanding to do well in the game. That's a reasonable response, isn't it?

I do agree with you though, that in this case, I would also like to know what exactly the new tactical options do. Do they pick out players with or without regard for opposition, in other words, if its matchup driven or not. That is arguably a matter of specifying the rules of the game with clarity and shouldn't be left to guessing games. But if you just take a look at a few games with inside/outside iso offence its apparent that the player with the best matchup is isolated most of the time, though probably not all of the time. After that its a matter of that player's decision making to start the offensive play.

I agree with you that the substitution patterns aren't what they could be, apart from other realism issues, but perfection is hard to come by. So why not just take it with a pinch of salt?

Advertisement