BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > NEW - Top Priority is ?

NEW - Top Priority is ?

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
264729.7 in reply to 264729.6
Date: 11/2/2014 3:37:54 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Plus 1 - I Cant argue with your logic and I as well would like it to be brought in

Last edited by Sid Vicious at 11/2/2014 3:44:21 AM

This Post:
264729.9 in reply to 264729.8
Date: 11/2/2014 3:45:11 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Plus 1 - all 3 are priorities IMO

This Post:
264729.10 in reply to 264729.9
Date: 11/2/2014 12:03:01 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
How about inflating the economy or reducing the cost of building the arena to make it relatively similar to 25 seasons ago when the economy was inflated compared to today? That's a key barrier for new managers.

Paying for removing seats should also be allowed. A minor fix that could be easily implemented.

This Post:
264729.11 in reply to 264729.10
Date: 11/2/2014 8:10:59 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I wouldnt mind being able to renovate my stadium which would involve getting rid of some bleachers and putting in some more lower tier

Edit

That said Ive only just started my 3rd season in Utopia and already have my arena half built.

Making the seating cheaper would only favour the promote at all cost teams who buy old geriatrics.

(i.e. Most of the teams in Div II in Utopia this season)

Last edited by Sid Vicious at 11/3/2014 4:07:52 AM

This Post:
264729.12 in reply to 264729.11
Date: 11/3/2014 4:27:12 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Making the seating cheaper would only favour the promote at all cost teams who buy old geriatrics.
It would favour all new managers who have to build their arenas really. I don't particularly care about Utopia, they could leave the prices as they are over there.

Alternatively to reducing the cost of the seats they could increase salaries and revenues but leave the cost of the seats as they are today.

In any case this should be done together with the marketing/App strategy in an effort to retain a good part to the influx of new managers.

That said Ive only just started my 3rd season in Utopia and already have my arena half built.
You're more than $4.5 million away from a near optimal arena, that's halfway only in total seats number, isn't it?

Last edited by Lemonshine at 11/3/2014 8:07:11 AM

This Post:
264729.13 in reply to 264729.12
Date: 11/3/2014 9:48:36 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
It would favour all new managers who have to build their arenas really. I don't particularly care about Utopia, they could leave the prices as they are over there.

More to the point, it would favor those who haven't invested in their arena, to the detriment of those who already did invest. So, say, two teams start at the same time, one spends on players and moves up, the other builds his arena. You now hand a huge advantage to the first team, who made the decision to win rather than build, and put the second team further behind the curve because they had the foresight to build a solid foundation for their team.

I'm not saying, incidentally, that the economy is perfect. I just hate to think that the solution to the problem is one that rewards the grasshopper for partying all summer, while the ant who gathered food for the winter gets nothing.

This Post:
264729.14 in reply to 264729.13
Date: 11/3/2014 11:23:51 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
How do you propose to bridge that 7 million gap in an economy where it would normally take you 6 seasons or 2 years to complete the arena?

No solution is perfect. Do you think it's fair that managers in this deflated economy have to pay relatively more than managers who have been around for 25 seasons and could build the arena much faster back in their days? I've read of people selling players for 10 million and salaries way over 400k in the old economy. Shall we check how that compares to today? All the managers who have joined after the changes to the economy have already been penalised, haven't they?

I don't honestly care about the situation in Utopia. If you want to increase the new user retention it doesn't sound smart that new managers need at least 2 actual years of tanking before starting to play the game competitively. What I'm saying is that it is pointless to spend money to promote the game or build an app, if 80% of the new managers leave within weeks as soon as they realise how long it will take them to be competitive.

More should be done to improve new user retention and I believe the cost of building the arena is one of the key issues in this respect. As I said, you can leave the Utopia prices as they are, or even increase them if you wish. Utopia has nothing to do with this.

Last edited by Lemonshine at 11/3/2014 11:29:15 AM

This Post:
264729.15 in reply to 264729.14
Date: 11/3/2014 11:49:41 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
How do you propose to bridge that 7 million gap in an economy where it would normally take you 6 seasons or 2 years to complete the arena?

You compete at the level you're at, and build and move up, compete at that level, build and move up. At some point you either run out of places to move up to or run out of skill to compete at that level, and adjust accordingly.

No solution is perfect. Do you think it's fair that managers in this deflated economy have to pay relatively more than managers who have been around for 25 seasons and could build the arena much faster back in their days? I've read of people selling players for 10 million and salaries way over 400k in the old economy. Shall we check how that compares to today? All the managers who have joined after the changes to the economy have already been penalised, haven't they?

A new manager today is not competing with a team that's in the B3, though. You compete against your leaguemates, and in the Cup against your countrymen and women (and distinguished others). During that, over the course of time, you rise or fall to the level of your ability to compete, or you cower in the corners trying to build up a large cash account to try to compete above your level.

I don't honestly care about the situation in Utopia. If you want to increase the new user retention it doesn't sound smart that new managers need at least 2 actual years of tanking before starting to play the game competitively. What I'm saying is that it is pointless to spend money to promote the game or build an app, if 80% of the new managers leave within weeks as soon as they realise how long it will take them to be competitive.

I apologize, then, and retract all zero of my comments about Utopia.

Incidentally, I think you're committing a fallacy that a lot of people make - equating things that you personally don't like and assuming that it's the reason for something else you don't like. Assuming your 80% figure isn't fabricated from rectal exhaust, it doesn't mean at all that "the need for tanking" is the reason they leave, any more than "game shape training" or "blank lineups" or "LI dominance". or "daytrading" or any of the other BB complaints that, while all have some validity, are elevated to the pure root of all evil by well-meaning users in the course of their arguments.

Of course, with that aside, nobody said you have to tank two years to be competitive and build an arena. You can build and compete, especially when you're in lower leagues. I mean, I have a pretty nice arena, though I won't really add to it unless I promote again. I started out in V, have never hoarded, never made much on the TL, never finished below fifth, and rarely have had long cup runs compared to my level. Perhaps it's just that my definition of competing includes the crazy notion of being able to have good records and even sometimes win leagues without massively outspending the rest of my league (though, funny enough, I think I do have the highest salary in my league at this point in this season).

More should be done to improve new user retention and I believe the cost of building the arena is one of the key issues in this respect. As I said, you can leave the Utopia prices as they are, or even increase them if you wish. Utopia has nothing to do with this.

It's game design - you can't have it all. You can train young players, but that may affect your performance in matches. You can buy players, but that may affect your ability to build the arena. You can have a shallow roster, but that may effect your results if you have an injury or a foul out. Arena pricing does not seem out of whack to me personally, and I've gone through it without the ridiculous transfer market advantage that you're fixated on. But it was a priority for me, also.

Last edited by GM-hrudey at 11/3/2014 11:50:41 AM

This Post:
264729.16 in reply to 264729.15
Date: 11/3/2014 12:13:19 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
You compete at the level you're at, and build and move up, compete at that level, build and move up. At some point you either run out of places to move up to or run out of skill to compete at that level, and adjust accordingly.
Since we're nitpicking. Let me rephrase for everyone's benefit: "do you think a new user who realises it will take 2 years (if he maximises his income or more if he's competing) is more or less likely to stick with a new game than if it would take 1 1/2 years or less"?

A new manager today is not competing with a team that's in the B3, though. You compete against your leaguemates, and in the Cup against your countrymen and women (and distinguished others). During that, over the course of time, you rise or fall to the level of your ability to compete, or you cower in the corners trying to build up a large cash account to try to compete above your level.
I apologize, then, and retract all zero of my comments about competing in B3

I apologize, then, and retract all zero of my comments about Utopia.
You have quoted an original comment to which I replied where the Utopia situation seemed to be the major concern for the writer.

Incidentally, I think you're committing a fallacy that a lot of people make - equating things that you personally don't like and assuming that it's the reason for something else you don't like. Assuming your 80% figure isn't fabricated from rectal exhaust, it doesn't mean at all that "the need for tanking" is the reason they leave, any more than "game shape training" or "blank lineups" or "LI dominance". or "daytrading" or any of the other BB complaints that, while all have some validity, are elevated to the pure root of all evil by well-meaning users in the course of their arguments.
80% is just a guess. 50% would be a problem as well, only the scale would be different. Assuming your entire paragraph isn't predicated on rectal activity either , but you do have something constructive to add to the discussion, would you please be kind enough to clarify whether you think waiting 2+ years to have a 20k arena is:
a) a reasonable time
b) incentivises new managers to stick with the game

Of course, with that aside, nobody said you have to tank two years to be competitive and build an arena. You can build and compete, especially when you're in lower leagues. I mean, I have a pretty nice arena, though I won't really add to it unless I promote again. I started out in V, have never hoarded, never made much on the TL, never finished below fifth, and rarely have had long cup runs compared to my level. Perhaps it's just that my definition of competing includes the crazy notion of being able to have good records and even sometimes win leagues without massively outspending the rest of my league (though, funny enough, I think I do have the highest salary in my league at this point in this season). s season).
I have no reason to doubt that those managers who have stayed like you or me have no problem with this issue. What is your point exactly? That if you and I have done it, so everyone else should be able to endure it? I don't believe for a second that most new managers are happy to play against bots in lower leagues. Of course most D2 teams have 20k arenas, so you're really only making the case for the lowest divisions in each country.

It's game design - you can't have it all. You can train young players, but that may affect your performance in matches. You can buy players, but that may affect your ability to build the arena. You can have a shallow roster, but that may effect your results if you have an injury or a foul out. Arena pricing does not seem out of whack to me personally, and I've gone through it without the ridiculous transfer market advantage that you're fixated on. But it was a priority for me, also.
You seem to have decided I am fixated with transfer prices. Talk about building straw mans. The transfer market refere

Last edited by Lemonshine at 11/3/2014 12:32:56 PM

This Post:
264729.17 in reply to 264729.16
Date: 11/3/2014 12:41:33 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Since we're nitpicking. Let me rephrase for everyone's benefit: "do you think a user who realises it will take 2 years of tanking (or more if he's competing) is more likely to stick with a new game rather than someone who knows it will take 1 1/2 years or less"?

Two years of tanking to do... what, exactly? I'm baffled as to why there's a presumption that one simply is required to tank the year and a half to two years (putting aside examples of users dumped in the top league of micronations).

80% is just a guess. 50% would be a problem as well, only the scale would be different. Assuming your entire paragraph isn't predicated on rectal activity either , but you do have something constructive to add to the discussion, would you please be kind enough to clarify whether you think waiting 2+ years to have a 20k arena is:
a) a reasonable time

I don't have a 20k arena now and I'm one of the people who advocates building an arena over buying players. Should I have quit because it's now coming close to four years and I'm still only at 18k?

I think it's unreasonable to expect a 20k arena until you're at a level where you are able to afford to build it and able to take advantage of it. I could actually use more seats but of course I'm a believer in heavy lower tier investment, so that's cost me more and would cost more to finish, so I'm holding off.

Let's just look at what you're asking, but with something different instead of the arena. Let's say:
"would you please be kind enough to clarify whether you think waiting 2+ years to be in the top level in your nation is:
a) a reasonable time

Now, as a basketball management sim and not a LEGO arena builder sim, you can imagine that this is even a greater concern for user retention.

Of course, with that aside, nobody said you have to tank two years to be competitive and build an arena. You can build and compete, especially when you're in lower leagues. I mean, I have a pretty nice arena, though I won't really add to it unless I promote again. I started out in V, have never hoarded, never made much on the TL, never finished below fifth, and rarely have had long cup runs compared to my level. Perhaps it's just that my definition of competing includes the crazy notion of being able to have good records and even sometimes win leagues without massively outspending the rest of my league (though, funny enough, I think I do have the highest salary in my league at this point in this season). s season).
I have no reason to doubt that those managers who have stayed like you or me have no problem with this issue. What is your point exactly? That if you and I have done it, so everyone else should be able to endure it?

The stuff that's bolded, that's my point. You're claiming that it'll take new users two years of tanking or more if competing, and I'm of the opinion that you're wrong. Now, of course, if your only goal is to get your 20k arena, sure, that may be the fastest way to do so, but if you play a basketball management sim as a basketball management sim, it's possible to be competitive ( * ) , build an effective arena based on your level of success, and do so without having to endure tanking or having to abuse the transfer system.

( * ) - competitive with my bolded definition. If you're insisting that because a new user can't be at the top in five or six seasons like they could in, say, Football Manager, the problem is that you can't have 90% of the users be in the top 10% of teams.

Last edited by GM-hrudey at 11/3/2014 12:44:04 PM

Advertisement