BuzzerBeater Forums

Suggestions > Ditch HCA for NT worlds

Ditch HCA for NT worlds

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 07/25/2011 16:49:49
Overall Posts Rated:
So, first of all, congrats to Poland on their NT championship.

But, this was by far the least interesting NT worlds we've ever had, and I say that despite this being one of the better campaigns my country has ever had. There was no question from the start of the season who would win. Poland did an excellent job not screwing things up, but everyone else was playing for silver from day 1.

To clarify, I understand that the finals are a neutral site, but having HCA advantage the whole way allows the host to TIE and build up an incredible enthusiasm advantage. So much so that Poland beat last cycle's champion, Chile, by 22 today. This is a HUGE advantage, and it's really disappointing that so much is decided based on a choice of the BB's.

So, two possible solutions I'd propose:

(1) Ditch HCA entirely. I'm not sure what this adds... does the host country care that they're hosting other than the huge advantage they game? Doesn't really seem like it.

(2) Pick a method for allocating HCA that excludes teams playing in worlds. The competition that Costa Rica won last time was a great solution.. something like this would continue to allow a country to host, without giving anyone two big legs up.

(3) Give HCA to a world's team that is a fringe challenger for the title. Giving it to the qualifier with the lowest worlds rank, for example. This would give an advantage to a team that's likely to otherwise win 0 or 1 games, and probably wouldn't be enough for them to win, but could at least make things a bit more interesting. The problem I see here is that HCA is likely to always go to a team from Africa or Asia.

I would be fine with any of these, and, to stave off the inevitable, I'm ok with, and would in fact prefer the solution to preclude the USA from ever hosting again. Giving HCA to any top 10 country is just too much of an advantage.

This Post:
191066.2 in reply to 191066.1
Date: 07/25/2011 17:41:51
Matrix Mighty Dunkers
II.4
Overall Posts Rated:
maybe I do not understand You, you want to remove HCA for teams who organize championships?

if Yes i think this is bad idea, everywhere championship host has got advenatage of his country, and fans.

I know taht we have won championship with big adventage, but we have very good team, maybe best and we won it.

Maybe some BB's can tell us what HCA gives to host, but I think not that big adventage You think.

regards

This Post:
191066.3 in reply to 191066.2
Date: 07/25/2011 20:05:11
Overall Posts Rated:
for teams who organize championships?

Organize? How much organizing do the hosts have to do?

I know taht we have won championship with big adventage, but we have very good team, maybe best and we won it.

Exactly! Poland is an excellent team. They might have one even without HCA, but with it, there was no doubt. To me, this diminishes the accomplishment, although maybe you don't think so.

Maybe some BB's can tell us what HCA gives to host, but I think not that big adventage You think.

+10% to ID, OD and Rb in every single game, just like HCA in every other competition. When teams are as close as they are at the NT level, that's a HUGE bonus. It is why poland was able to TIE every (or nearly every) game and win enough to be the top seed. Their enthusiasm advantage was immense because of this.

This Post:
191066.5 in reply to 191066.3
Date: 07/26/2011 03:22:25
Matrix Mighty Dunkers
II.4
Overall Posts Rated:
Yep, I agry with You

10% to this key skills is a huge advantage, maybe better idea will 3-5% to all skill?

Ok they go it and this is all. but like in real life look at some competition, host team always play better in its territory. Look at last Championship in real in Turkey, I think taht Turkey didin't claim silver when Championships if they were play in another country.

yes we have strong team but not that strong to win at another country. The stronger team is Chile and Italy, this HCA gave us possibility to win, but I was a little scared about score

regards

Last edited by aMORFIczny at 07/26/2011 05:55:42

This Post:
191066.6 in reply to 191066.3
Date: 07/26/2011 03:22:30
Matrix Mighty Dunkers
II.4
Overall Posts Rated:
Yep, I agry with You

10% to this key skills is a huge advantage, maybe better idea will 3-5% to all skill?

Ok they go it and this is all. but like in real life look at some competition, host team always play better in its territory. Look at last Championship in real in Turkey, I think taht Turkey didin't claim silver when Championships if they were play in another country.

yes we have strong team but not that strong to win at another country. The stronger team is Chile and Italy, this HCA gave us possibility to win, but I was a little scared

regards

This Post:
191066.7 in reply to 191066.3
Date: 07/26/2011 04:26:47
Overall Posts Rated:
+10% to ID, OD and Rb in every single game, just like HCA in every other competition.

Where did you find those numbers?

I think Poland would have won this championship, no matter what. Even though 22 points are huge on that level of competition, I dont think HCA has to be changed.

This Post:
191066.8 in reply to 191066.7
Date: 07/26/2011 05:15:00
Overall Posts Rated:
I agree with you. This game must be realistic and HCA always boosts performance of the home team. So it should stay as it is.

This Post:
191066.9 in reply to 191066.1
Date: 07/26/2011 05:19:24
Overall Posts Rated:
My opinion is that HCA shouldn't exist in WC. But it will be unfair if it will be removed after this World Championships. I will be ashamed because I would be last beneficiary of HCA.
Yep, it was helpful. And therefore I think in next WC other team should have chance and easier way to glory.
I never asked for HCA. And if I check our last two matches I think Poland should win semi and final without HCA. I can say more, I think we should win these two matches even if USA and Chile had HCA. But as I said on other forum, it was helpful in earlier matches.

Please note that Poland isn't first team which get HCA in BB. In past we had many teams with HCA. I count all World Cups and first Continental Championships:

Espana (NT, European Championships, season 3 - bronze medal for Spain, first in history)
Brasil (NT, American Championships, season 3 - gold medal, first in history)
Nigeria (NT, African Championships, season 3 - gold medal, first in history)
Australia (NT, Asian Championships, season 3 - gold medal, first in history)
Italia (NT, World Championships, season 4 - gold medal, first in WC in history)
USA (NT, World Championships, season 6 - bronze medal, first medal in WC for USA)
Australia (NT, WCh, season 8 - 6th place - second HCA for Australia!)
Nigeria (NT, WCh, season 10 - 5th place - second HCA for Nigeria!)
China (NT, WCh, season 12 - silver medal - first in WC in history - second HCA for China! (first will be listed later))
Lietuva (U21, European Championships, season 6, 8th place)
Argentina (U21, American Championships, season 6, silver medal)
Tounes (U21, African Championships, season 6, 1st place (medal isn't visible on main page and I'm not sure what is official statistic, but I see this gold medal in baner on Tounes U21 page, so they consider they won tittle)).
China (U21, Asian Championships, season 6, of course gold medal - it was first HCA for China, second is listed few rows earlier)
Deutschland (U21, WCh, season 7, gold medal, first tittle in history for Deutschland)
Canada (U21, WCh, season 9, defeated in repasages)
France (U21, WCh, season 11, gold medal, first tittle for France in history)
Lietuva (U21, WCh, season 13, 5th place - second HCA for Lietuva!)
Argentina (U21, WCh, season 15, 10th place - second HCA for Argentina!)

And one more thing. HCA isn't so great advantage as You think. Remember last ECh final and keep in mind that Italia has better players than Poland.
And please consider next thing. Poland is first country in history which started in 3rd season in BB and won medal in WCh (I talk about NT-A, in U21 we had few medalists). All medals in all previous WChs were won by countries started in 1st or 2nd season. We're talking about HCA, but countries started earlier had big advantage too. Development of community need time. For many years many users in Poland thought that we can't beat Spain, Italy, Germany or France. First tournaments were strange for us because we had to play against older players.

Regards from Poland

Last edited by B.B.King at 07/26/2011 05:21:55

This Post:
191066.10 in reply to 191066.1
Date: 07/26/2011 08:26:09
Overall Posts Rated:
Facing a NT with HCA is just another motivation to win ;)

Anyway, S15 Spain won on Itally home the European title, so all you need is a perfect management.

HCA is hard to beat, but it isn't unbeatable. It's just another challenge, i don't see any reason to change it,

This Post:
191066.11 in reply to 191066.9
Date: 07/26/2011 22:59:18
Overall Posts Rated:
Nobody is saying they are bitter that Poland one the NT Championship this season. It was well deserved and Poland could have won possibly on another team's soil.

However, for someone (not yourself) to say you could have won the Semi and Final on the road is ridiculous. Yes you could have done so at that point, BUT it's because you TIE'd every game up until that point. With such a huge enthusiasm advantage there was no possible way outside of your entire starting 5 getting hurt of Poland losing once the semi's were decided.

Was it unfair? No, under the current system that has been used other teams have also benefited from the same advantage the Polish did. So nobody is wanting the rule to be changed just because Poland won the title. You guys did an absolutely great job of showing why the advantage is too great though with your blowout in the championship.

Whoever said it is realistic that HCA helps in real life is correct in my opinion as well. That's why I am an advocate for a greatly reduced HCA instead of completely taking it away. It's effect is too great right now. If 10% is the real numbers i would be for 3%. Still a good advantage but more realistic and would not make it impossible for any team to overcome if HCA was handed to a top 10 NT.

That would be my solution anyway...

Last edited by Stauder at 07/26/2011 22:59:41