BuzzerBeater Forums

BB England > U21 National Team Speeches

U21 National Team Speeches (thread closed)

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
281265.2 in reply to 281265.1
Date: 08/30/2016 13:26:37
Durham Wasps
EBBL
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Sunderland Boilermakers
The National Teams, both senior and junior, are a representation of the community (us all) and as such we get the NT and u21 team we (us all) deserve.

Its clear that there's plenty of people in England who are interested in what goes on with the NT. 40 people were interested enough to either approve or disapprove of js8, which indicates that there's at least a will to see our NTs do well.

As most of you know, I was once in charge of the England NT. Prior to that I'd worked with Morwood when he was u21 coach. That means, if I'm voted in, we'll have two people in charge of the junior and senior squads who can work together for the good of England. It also means I know what a good NT player looks like, and what workmanlike NT players look like.

I won't be forcing people to train for England, but I will be pointing out its benefits. Both Vecx, and Elmacca, to choose just two, had multiple English NT players in their teams when they won the EBBL. Mikramus who has won two Cups has a long history of producing English NT players. So successful English players can help English teams be successful.

The u21 boss has two roles as I see it. Producing future NT players and also producing the players who will play for the u21s. These can be the same players, but its not always the case. Because of the way some NT players are trained, they won't play for the u21s, and players with potential too low for the NT can be extremely useful for u21 players.

I won't promise good results. It depends on so many factors, including luck in the draft, but I will do all I can. What I can promise is that I'm too stupid to know when I'm beaten so if you want a stubborn idiot, I'm probably your man.

This Post:
281265.3 in reply to 281265.1
Date: 08/30/2016 17:48:34
T20 Cricketers
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
Hi all,

Here's the plan for my speech:
- About Me & My BB and Online Sports Management experience
- Why I'm standing for England U21's Manager
- A brief overview as to how I'd run England U21's
- Expectations for England U21 (if I'm elected)

About Me & My BB and Online Sports Management (OSM) experience
- A big basketball fan who watches NBA and international basketball games as often as time/money allows for some 10+ years now
- Dedicated to BB management since season 15 with T20 Cricketers in England
- Just promoted into EBBL for the first time
- Have spent many days chasing 18yo draft talent in last 4/5 seasons (so know whats out there skills/potential distribution wise)
- Also played various soccer and cricket OSM games for upto 8 years
- Loyal and relatively succesful (given talent) U19 manager for a minor nation (for 8 seasons) in a cricket game I've played for some 20+ seasons (though taking a 2 season break at moment)

Why I'm standing for England U21's Manager
- I feel now I've got a very good handle on BB, skills, draftee's, player types, defensive and offensive tactics, etc.. which is by no means an easy thing to do
- I like a very big challenge, against the odds, but not without hope of reaching the summit

A brief overview as to how I'd probably run England U21's:
- Appoint 1-4 assitant managers/scouts (for other opinions/delegate work)
- search out 18-21yo prospects & communicate with their managers
- I'd look beyond the usual Superstar+ potential talent for the U21's
- I would however co-operate with the England national manager as the potential/experience side to the game is obviously very important to the Senior England side
- Prepare throughly against each opponent
- Squeeze every ounce out of the England U21 players (inlcuding non-standard types), tactical knowledge, etc.. to win games

Goals/Aims for England U21's (if I'm elected):
- I'm under no illusions, it will be extremely tough to qualify for the World Championships, but that would be the biggest goal of my tenure
- No trophy ever won by England U21's (or England Senior team for that matter) so that is probably beyond any realistic hope, but I'd give it my best...
- Both in RL and BB England does not have a big basketball following or pool of talent (however on BB England does have 191 active teams which means there is a decent talent pool) so the aim is to help make the best use of it, Basically to inspire as many managers to train identified England U21 talent as fully as possible for U21's (and beyond)
- To do a new version of this http://www.buzzerbeater.com/community/forum/read.aspx?thread=235112&m=1 (I believe I can better it or at least add areas around it)

Cheers,
OlympianT20

This Post:
281265.5 in reply to 281265.4
Date: 08/30/2016 18:53:28
T20 Cricketers
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
Thanks Morwood :)

Sure many countries U21's managers go well below superstar out of necessity, though some countries seem to insist on that or even MVP even for U21's from what I can remember seeing. Basically I just wanted to inform voters I'll be looking for the best U21 talent within reason. As to what potential I would draw the line, honestly, I dont really know at present, though I'm not discounting anything. If I am elected, I would certainly frown upon high skills with atrocious/pitiful even awful stamina thats for sure...