This Post:
Date: 07/26/2021 03:02:13
Wasps ™
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Wolves ™
Hi,

What are the options for developing a long term roster for a competitive team?

These are the ways I've thought of but as a newbie there must be other strategies:

1. develop draftee's in only a one or two positions every year, selling excess players and buying in players for the other positions.

2. Train positions for three seasons and then rotate to another position. say PG/SG for 3 years and then SF/PF for 3 and then Centre for 3.

are these valid? what other strategies are there?

Thanks in advance.

To: T0dd
This Post:
311325.2 in reply to 311325.1
Date: 07/26/2021 14:22:27
Boulettes
Pro A
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Les Boulettes Utopiennes
The main problem is with your definition of "competitive team". Is it in relation with Div 3, Div 2 or Div1 ?

One other problem is the economic aspect of the game. Each division has a need for certain types of players, and has its own economy. If its a real competitive division, everything are in details like free skills that make a starting or a substitute player with a low salary to not hinder the team performance. Every division has its own learning curve.

At the end of each season, you may promote, demote or stay in your division:

- If you demote with an expensive player you may not promote that easily because most of you incomes is fixed on an expensive player making your team unbalanced.

- If you promote you will need to change a few players to get those extra skills you lack for winning in that division.

- If you stay in your division, your trained players will earn more at each salary update, and you may not be able to pay them.

So there are many reasons to change or to adjust your development policy each season.

Very few can do it with an home grown team, 100% draftees, and in a competitive country i doubt many of them has reached Div1.

Once i say that, quite often and as many others, i do follow a boum and burst strategy, which is go as far as i can with a few trained players and if i see that i cannot go to the top, i sell and rebuild with 5/6 trained players.

To answer your question. i follow your proposal 1. Begining with training 5-6 players 2-positions and as soon as i start training only three players i do sell the three i do not want to keep. Knowing that most of the time when you switch from two positions training to one, salaries are going up a lot at the end of the season.

That for starter, then if you reach D2 or D1 in a very competitive country, there is this little music about do no pay a player that plays only one game a week. Let the money on the field. And at the very top you may also just want to train GS or Stamina. i haven't reached that level yet, it's hearsay.

Last edited by boule at 07/26/2021 14:28:01

This Post:
311325.3 in reply to 311325.2
Date: 07/30/2021 16:38:28
Wasps ™
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Wolves ™
Thank you for your time and information.

Sounds like the development strategy of players is a changing thing and not to get so focused on a single path.

Thanks again

To: T0dd
This Post:
311325.4 in reply to 311325.1
Date: 08/01/2021 08:19:32
US DAGGERS
III.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
US DAGGERS II
Unfortunately, this is a long term strategy game. The best way will be to do everything you can to build your bank up. Save up the money to build your stadium, as nothing else will matter in the long run without a way to maximize revenue. Train crops of cheaper draftees for a season or two and then sell them for good profit. Eventually, you will have your stadium done and some cash in the bank. Then you can focus on training 3 guys who will be the core of your team. Once they are trained good, you will have cash to add pieces to put around them. Or you could train them up until your happy, and start a new crop, or you could have enough money to put the pieces together to make a couple of jumps. The higher the level, the better the bonus for winning leagues, and the more profit you can make by hanging near the league minimum in salary. Just don’t go adding pieces that you wouldn’t be able to afford if you plan to drop down the next season. Only keep guys you know that you will use the following year. A lot of guys just try to skate by in D2 or D3 on league minimum salary each year, while not demoting. Others will win d4, tank D3 for draft and drop back down to d4, and rinse and repeat. The more money you make, the more you save, the easier it will be to win leagues. Once you have enough money, you can build your own young guys easily, and then pay for other expensive young guys to go with them. Trial and error until you find what you like to do with your team and your time. Find whatever it is that you enjoy and run with it. This game is fun because there are so many things you can do, and so many plans you can make in your head. Winning just makes it better when something you thought of actually works.

Last edited by AIRFORCE1 at 08/01/2021 08:21:02

This Post:
311325.5 in reply to 311325.4
Date: 08/01/2021 16:04:07
Wasps ™
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Wolves ™
Great information. Thank you