BuzzerBeater Forums

Suggestions > Postpone the change which increases the chance of injury for players playing full game

Postpone the change which increases the chance of injury for players playing full game

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 10/08/2021 20:39:04
Nittany Lions
I.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Crystalline Cohomology
As title, please postpone that. It is going to hurt deeply to the current training system. The announcement is written in a very unnoticeable way (inside a paragraph which seems to be on a completely different topic). Even worse, although it is only going to be tested in scrimmages, it is going to have an immediate effect on unaware managers, because injuries in scrimmage are real.

I know that there might be a couple of threads discussing suggestions on the training mechanisms, as well as on stamina.

However, the change which gives 100% training on 18- and 19-year-old players playing 45 minutes or more will be marginal. First, I don't know why there is a reason that the same rule should not be applied to older players. Second, without having players playing full games, it is almost as hard to control 3 or 6 trainees to play 45+ minutes, compared to 48+ minutes. The main reason for this is that game outcomes are sometimes hard to predict. When a game is close, starters/benches might share the game time like 36/12. On the other hand, when the game gets into garbage time, sometimes starters/benches might share the game time like 24/24. It is usually hard to sum it to 45 consistently.

Therefore, no matter the rule is 45+ or 48+, it is still quite inevitable that managers have to put their trainees to play full games. And thanks to the change of the game, they are going to get injured more easily.

In the past, when we are doing single position training, it is not so hard to give 3 trainees full training most of the time. However, if the game engine penalizes this by increasing the injury possibility, we might be forced to train only 2 trainees at a time. This is a 33% debuff.

To be honest, I am a bit disappointed that under so many discussions, the game engine is not moving toward a better way. The rules get complicated, but all we got were inconveniences.

This Post:
312163.3 in reply to 312163.1
Date: 10/14/2021 12:24:22
IceStar
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
AlpenFlash Dunk Crew
Pls read the news again:

As has been frequently discussed for several seasons, we would like to limit the effectiveness of short rosters, used by many teams across BuzzerBeater. We will be looking into tweaks to player stamina effects on late game performance and possibly an age based increased probability of injury for players playing full matches, where older players will be affected more, while draftees won't feel the change at all. We will be testing these changes during the season, and will be seeking your feedback on what the best solution will be.

This sentence in bold seems to be crucial. It depends on the age of the player.

I can well imagine that an algorithm is used that strongly takes age into account. The older the player, the higher the probability of an injury. Wasn't there a mathematical function for that? 18yo=0% (probability of injury), 19yo=0.001%, 20yo=0.01%%, .... 30yo=5%, 31yo=7%, 32yo=10%, 33yo=14%, etc...
What I want to say is: The chance that a player between the ages of 18 and 30 will get injured if he plays 48 minutes is not too big.

This Post:
312163.4 in reply to 312163.3
Date: 10/14/2021 13:12:58
Nittany Lions
I.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Crystalline Cohomology
Thank you for the reply!

Yes, I noticed that. The season 55 announcement had been updated. My post was based on their first draft, while what you are pointing out is the updated version.

The reason that I did not make an update of my post after the update of the announcement was that there were two well-noticed posts discussing the same topic, after a couple of hours when this post is written. And there are nice arguments made by experienced managers, so I strongly recommend those who have some insight share there as well.

(https://www.buzzerbeater.com/community/forum/read.aspx?thr...)
(https://www.buzzerbeater.com/community/forum/read.aspx?thr...)

In terms of the updated version, my concern is that the definitions of "old players" and "players under training" are vague and differ largely among managers. A 26-year-old manager can fall on both sides in different circumstances. As long as the adjustment is not transparent enough, I would be somewhat worried. But maybe we can wait and see what the GMs have to say.