Set priority
Show messages by

This Post:
312732.26 in reply to 312732.24
Date: 12/31/2021 13:52:33
kiku
II.1
Overall Posts Rated:
When comparing real basketball zone defense and BB zone defense, a strange result emerges. In basketball, the 3pt line is in the form of an arc. The biggest weakness of the 3-2 zone defense is that corner shooters can easily penalize. (or if the big mans rushed to the corner shooter, the passed pass can create easy scoring chances) If you don't want a 3-point penalty from your opponent and you decide to zone defense, it's actually smarter to do 2-3 zone defense. because the chance of the 3 men defending the back area to block the corner shots is not very low and the chance of the 2 guards in the front to defend the top and wing 3pts is not that low compared to the weakness given in the corner shots.

But according to the BB zone defense design, the three point line is not in the form of an arc, it is straight. This creates a design based on the defense of 3 man three-pointers in the front and 2-man duals in the back. When defensive ratings are examined, it causes 3-2 zone OD to increase and ID to decrease. In 2-3 zones, the opposite happens. So 3 men=OD in the front area, 3 men=ID in the back area. This supports the idea of straight lines. However, there is a 3pt threat in the back area. So yes, logic is flawed, 3-2 zones are overpowered and 2-3 zones are dead. But I'm not comparing it to man2man. I just wanted to draw attention to the fact that the logic of the zone defense was designed incorrectly according to the realities of basketball.

These are my observations of the zone defense logic in BB. Am I wrong or right is debatable. I'm not talking about other types of zone defenses like 2-1-2 or 1-2-1. For the box and one defense, a separate slot (for "one") must be added for the man who will defend the man-to-man, and we must be able to determine the matchup ourselves. I have seen many times that this tactic has very bad results with this form and I have decided not to use it in league matches. I used it in my private league game today. I'll have a look at play-by-play sometime and I'm sure I'll see lots of unrelated switches.

The zone defense is never stuck and static. The players move as a whole by sliding towards the part where the ball and positions are. It expands, contracts, but never remains static. Just as the man is followed in man2man, 5 players follow the ball synchronously in the field defense. I was never sure how much this requirement is given in the zone defense that BB presented to us.

Also, keeping zone defense all game is just too unrealistic. With zone defense, you can surprise the opponent, force them to change their offensive balance, but you always have to allow for some weaknesses. Against a zone defense that spans the entire match, the opponent will immediately figure out how to attack. Of course, this will work against you. I will not delve into this issue now, as we cannot change the fact that BB does not allow tactical changes in-game. If there were in-game changes, the "Patient" threat would also be obsolete, and the OD of the big guys would lose its importance. This triggered unidirectionality in the players. We can imagine multiskill players as having a hidden "mobility" skill. Secondary skills are considered to be of low importance for Zone Defense. There is perhaps a percentage decrease compared to man2man, but not entirely unimportant. Especially when trying to create perfection.

Last edited by kiku at 01/01/2022 05:42:35

This Post:
312732.27 in reply to 312732.26
Date: 01/01/2022 05:45:47
kiku
II.1
Overall Posts Rated:
I made some additions to my post yesterday and shared it in the "analysis" category on my blog.

https://kiku-buzzerbeater.tumblr.com

maybe you want to go in and have a look there too:)

This Post:
312732.28 in reply to 312732.27
Date: 01/02/2022 06:58:05
white snake
II.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Black Forest Boars
We are here in the suggestions section, so maybe we could improve the two boxes as a first step. I think this is the easiest or fastest way.

The idea would be:
- let us decide who the +1 defender is. not with the position, but with the player name
- make it possible to decide who the +1 defender should defend, again with the player name
- better arrangement for the box and the other four players. currently the PF/C, who should be near the basket in Inside Box, end up at the top of the 3pt line

This Post:
312732.30 in reply to 312732.28
Date: 01/02/2022 08:10:36
Team Payabang
III.7
Overall Posts Rated:
Nice Suggestion... It could also be nice if the Roster's Droplist on the Starter slots changes over the Court's Area depending to the Defensive play set... that is a direct representation on where the GE will assign the player set on the slot.

This Post:
312732.31 in reply to 312732.18
Date: 01/10/2022 21:31:58
Overall Posts Rated:
Is it possible to get this same breakdown for 3-2 and maybe the other defenses?

This Post:
312732.32 in reply to 312732.18
Date: 01/11/2022 11:29:54
Village Idiots
II.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Tranquility Base
2-3 zone Defensive Matchups
3pt - More likely PG or SG will be the defender but small chance the SF or PF will defend
Jump shot - PG, SG, SF, PF all have the same chance to defend the shot (I think this is where it suffers the most)
IS - most likely the C will defend, SF and PF have a good chance, PG and SG have a small chance

if you watch how a 2-3 zone functions in real basketball, that's a pretty accurate analysis of how they guard offensive players. PG/SG patrol the top of the arc and SF/PF guard the sides, moving out to the perimeter as needed. SF/PF can also collapse around the basket to help the center.

According to this, to build a team for a 2-3 zone team, you need:
1. High OD on positions PG, SG, SF, PF
2. High ID on C, PF, SF

To beat a 2-3 zone in real basketball you need a lot of ball movement (passing) and dribble penetration (driving), so the zone collapses in towards the basket and leaves an open shot. The zone naturally rotates to focus on the ball handler, so with enough quick passes, it will leave the back side of the zone with one defender trying to cover too much of the floor.

An offense that doesn't have these passing/driving capabilities will tend to just shuffle the ball around the perimeter and take a contested 3pt shot. There are a ton of youtube videos on the strengths and weaknesses of a 2-3 zone defense. It is not as weak as it is in BB.

Right now if BB's 2-3 zone success relies on having crazy high OD/ID, I would suggest relieving some of that defensive burden and put it on the offense to have better driving and passing capabilities.