BB England > Basic training guide

Basic training guide

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 04/12/2010 21:42:15
Overall Posts Rated:
Basic training guide.

Howdy! I'm Soel, GM and LA for England (for those who don't know!). I often get mails asking me advice on how to train players, so I thought I'd knock up a guide. This guide is going to focus on the very basics and is probably going to be useless if you've played the game for more than a season, so it's aim is to help new members and hopefully improve the quality of players we produce in England. Most of this guide is based on what I understand from my experiences playing the game and as such some of it might be wrong (but hopefully not!), and like my game shape guide it will not give specific examples, the game is best played if you learn the specifics yourself.

Before I start I'd just like to say that training is a vital part of this game, and for me personally the most enjoyable. But it's confusing and will take a bit of time to get to grips with and you'll probably make mistakes in the early goings, but don't worry! This game is very unforgiving and we're all still learning, even us old grizzled vets. Saying that it's worth reading up on training, hopefully this guide will help but there's a whole Help forum out there filled with more advise than you can shake a stick at, so I'd do as much reading as possible, as early as possible!

Last edited by Soel at 04/13/2010 14:41:29

To: Soel
This Post:
140400.2 in reply to 140400.1
Date: 04/12/2010 21:42:57
Overall Posts Rated:
The very, very basics

Players are trained once a week during the update on Friday morning. To be eligible for training players need to play a total of 48 minutes over the 3 games your team plays each week (Saturday's league game, Tuesday's league game and Thursday's cup or scrimmage game). The positions that get trained depend on the type of training you select each week, and these are chosen from the training page (Manage my team -> Training). Any player can recieve training, the position displayed on the player overview is simply a guide to where the game thinks that player would play best, and you are free to play any player in any position you like, and this is the same for training.

The type of training you select will improve the statistics (such as driving, or inside defense) of those players who get training minutes in the chosen positions. Different training types will improve different statistics, and these are comprehensively detailed on this forum post (http://www.buzzerbeater.com/community/forum/read.aspx?thr...). As long as your player is young enough (more on this later) and he gets minutes in the required position his statistics will increase each week. The game only displays statistics rounded down to the nearest whole number, so you player's stats will not "pop" every week, but they will increase. For example in a week you train rebounding a player who played center for more than 48 minutes might go from 10.20 rebounding to 10.40, so even though they do not display an arrow on their overview they will have improved! Players who play less than 48 minutes at the trained positions during the week will still receive training, but the benefit of the training is decreased the less minutes they play. The exception to this are the team training schemes, stamina, game shape and free throw. These train every player on your roster, regardless of age and minutes played. A 34 year old player who plays 0 minutes during the week will still gain 100% of the training's effects.

Once a year, after the playoffs have finished, your player's salaries will update. As players increase their skill they will become more valuable and cost you more to keep. Again, I wont go into specifics here, but this is a gradual process and nothing to be worried about when you first start playing the game. However, players become more expensive when they have one or two stats that are exceptionally high, so it is advised to try and grow your player's stats in a balanced way. Some stats are more useful on certain positions than others, for example inside defense is more valuable on a center than a point guard, but be aware that as you get two or three seasons down the line that training these core stats exclusively can wind up being very expensive. Also, the speed of training is reduced if you train the same thing week in, week out. You can train the same thing for two or three weeks but then I would advise switching to something else for a week.

Players also have a "soft cap" to their development. This is the player's potential, as displayed on their overview. This cap is based on their total skills and can be linked to salary. As a new player you don't need to pay much mind to this, but it isn't advised to train players with less than "starter" potential, as they will reach their potential in less than two seasons time.

Last edited by Soel at 04/13/2010 05:15:19

This Post:
140400.3 in reply to 140400.2
Date: 04/12/2010 21:43:13
Overall Posts Rated:
The skill level of your trainer will also affect the speed of training. You can view your trainers skill on the staff page (Your team page -> Staff). If your coach is below "competent" they will not have a great effect on improving your players. As a new starter I would advise replacing your old trainer with a new one with "competent skill" on around $10,000-$12,000 per week. These should cost you around $1,000 to purchase and on that salary you'd be able to support them on your starting income. Please be advised not to go for a better trainer to begin with, as they can be too expensive early on.

As mentioned earlier, the age of the players trained also effects their speed of training. As a player gets older they train slower. 18 year olds train the quickest, 19 year olds slightly slower, 20 even slower and so on. Players will still benefit from training until they are about 27, when the effects of training are almost none. But I would largely, especially as a new user, advise you not to train a player if they are older than 24.

Most training schemes have a choice with what positions they train. For example, inside defense has the choice of just training centers alone, just power forwards and centers or small forwards, power forwards and centers together. The smaller the number of positions trained the faster the training will happen. More on this later!

The height of players also effects training, but not by much at all. However, I would advise against training players under 6'5 in roles that are designed for power fowards and centers, and players over 6'5 in positions that are designed for guards.

Last edited by Soel at 04/13/2010 05:16:38

This Post:
140400.4 in reply to 140400.3
Date: 04/12/2010 21:43:21
Overall Posts Rated:
Frequently asked questions

"What kind of player should I buy" is often a question I get asked. Again, I don't want to get bogged down in the specifics, but I wouldn't advise spending much on your first batch. I would advise buying 18 year olds as they train the fastest and I would advise buying players in the starter-allstar potential region. I would also look for players with balanced statistics - a center who can hit a 3 is very valuable, for example! It's hard to train certain positions certain statistics, as you'll find out as you move along. A good price tag for your first round of trainees would be between $20,000-50,000. If trained correctly I would expect these players to be worth around $200,000 each in a season's time - quite a profit, you'd agree!

"How many trainees should I have?" You can single position train or multi-position, as explained earlier. Single position training is for experienced users, as it demands very specific control and it can lead to high salaries very quickly. I would advice multi-position training, so if you are training inside defense for example, I would advise training PF/C. This technically allows you to train 6 players (3 games a week, 2 positions), but I would advise training 5, or even 4 to start with, as it allows you a bit more flexibility with fouls and game shape. I've been playing for 7 seasons now and I still train 5 players.

"Should i train guards or bigs?" Both have advantages and disadvantages, and there's no clear answer, and no real monitary advantages to training either. What I'd do is look at your roster - if you have more trainable players at guard, train guards. Sell your guards that are too old to train and buy young guards and older bigs.

"What about small forwards" Small forwards are tough to train. Real tough - I wouldn't attempt this being 7 seasons in, haha. Leave it to the pro's while you learn the game!

"If I have an 18 year old with good skills and high potential, should I train him or sell him?" My advise would be to ask one of the older players if you're not sure. A good, young, high potential player sells for a lot of money and the early injection of cash can be great, but it's also an advantage to get one of these players for free (via the draft or your initial, starting, roster). So it all depends!

"How often should I train stamina and free throws?" Any week where you do not play 3 games (All star week, playoff weeks when you're not involved in playoff games) is a great time to train free throws and stamina, as your trainees will not be able to get the minutes for effective training anyway, and as explained earlier stam and free throw do no require minutes to train. In these weeks look at your sqaud - if they are generally low (below medocre) train stamina, if they're ok, train free throws.

"How about game shape?" Never train game shape! Game shape should be managed by controlling your player's minutes (see my other guide!)

This Post:
140400.5 in reply to 140400.4
Date: 04/13/2010 04:45:00
Overall Posts Rated:
Here's another good guide from Juicepats from the Help forum - (http://www.buzzerbeater.com/community/forum/read.aspx?thr...)

This Post:
140400.6 in reply to 140400.5
Date: 04/13/2010 04:48:59
Overall Posts Rated:
Hey Soel,

the links aren't good. might need to check them again.

the one in your second post send you to your team overview, and this one sends you to the forum, but doesn't show the thread.

also, just to let you know, i was asked by Mister Q ( England U2 coach) to write some guides up (which i am currently doing) though they are most probably more than the basic guides. if all goes well, they'll be up by the end of the week.

Mod-Revo

This Post:
140400.7 in reply to 140400.6
Date: 04/13/2010 05:18:34
Overall Posts Rated:
Thanks for letting me know, the links are fixed now, I think!

Good luck with your guides, no reason we can't have more than one. I think the more new players read, the better.

This Post:
140400.8 in reply to 140400.7
Date: 04/13/2010 09:42:01
Overall Posts Rated:
ii'll try and include a beginners guide aswell.. but my first priority is to get the guides of for training specific players.

once all is up, we might wanna make a sticky, referring to all the threads. that way, they can easely be found.

Rev

This Post:
140400.9 in reply to 140400.7
Date: 04/15/2010 06:08:00
Overall Posts Rated:
Soel, care providing your link to your GS manual you wrote?

can't find it anymore, and i'd like to include it in the manual i am writting.

Rev

This Post:
140400.10 in reply to 140400.9
Date: 04/15/2010 06:27:00

This Post:
140400.11 in reply to 140400.10
Date: 04/16/2010 08:26:36
Overall Posts Rated:
training guide has been completely finished.

i am going to read 2 more traiing guides, see if i missed anything, and then i'll be posting it on the forums.

are their any volunteers to read it through (some experienced in BB is required, since it will be a test to see if the guide is clear enough in your oppinion.)

note that it is a 19 page long PDF file ( tho some pages only have 3 lines or so) and it mentiones everything that has to do with training, from scratch to training a player for U21/NT.

any volunteers, please mail an e-mail adres to me by PM, and i'll send it to you so that you can read it up and give me a feed back on it.

Rev