BuzzerBeater Forums

USA - IV.49 > Hooray for the Mustache Men!

Hooray for the Mustache Men!

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 04/17/2011 09:22:48
Overall Posts Rated:
Just wanted to congratulate the Mustache Men on their dominating season. Congrats and good luck in Div. III!

This Post:
180443.2 in reply to 180443.1
Date: 04/20/2011 23:26:58
Overall Posts Rated:
I agree!!

Hooray for the Mustache Men . . . . . . . (getting out of here!!!)

This Post:
180443.3 in reply to 180443.2
Date: 06/01/2011 19:26:20
Overall Posts Rated:
Only 5-7. It looks like they'll manage to stay up, tho. Sitting in 6th, but better than the 6th and 7th in the other division.

This Post:
180443.4 in reply to 180443.3
Date: 06/01/2011 22:32:54
Overall Posts Rated:
Maybe Brasky will pop in to share his thoughts on the difference between here and there . . .

From what I have seen (yes, I have been silently stalking), he is in a VERY difficult league. He has the players to stay in the middle of the pack (and he still has to play 6th and 7th place on the other side in the next 3 games) . . . and he has been trying to continue to manage enthusiasm in the same way he could (most of us can) in DIV. I am just not sure you can TIE as many games in the first year of D.III. I will tell you that it makes me nervous, however. His team was MUCH better than mine at the end of last season . . . if I am fortunate enough to promote this year, I don't know if I will be able to stay up.

This Post:
180443.5 in reply to 180443.4
Date: 06/11/2011 22:04:52
Overall Posts Rated:
First of all, yes, I think I will manage to remain in D.III.I. As Coach Dawg noticed, I won tonight and will most likely win on Tuesday. Then, to be assured of remaining in the league, I just need to win against the 6th through 8th seed in my conference (assuming no miraculous wins by these teams). All teams I have beaten already, plus I have relatively high enthusiasm.

I have plenty of cash and could make some roster moves if I felt it were necessary, but at this point, I think I am in a pretty good place to avoid relegation. Plus, there is no point in expending huge amounts of money because the top teams are so much better than I am, it just wouldn't be worth it.

As for my tips in regards to D.III: pray you do not end up in a super hard league. I know, for a fact, that at the beginning of the season, this division had the highest payrolls of any D.III league. However, teams have begun to scale back because they sense the impossibility of beating the New York Chunks (although, miraculously, I only lost to the Chunks by 2 w/ TIE). Basically, if you know you will be killed in the playoffs, no point in spending a lot. Because teams have scaled back some, it has allowed me a few more victories.

My other tip would be: you need to learn to throw games. Some teams, you will not beat. Throw the game, save the enthusiasm, wait for home court, and then try to pull off the upset.

But basically my strategy for this year has been to save money and avoid relegation (so far it looks like I will accomplish the goal) and wait for the salaries to reach more normal levels before trying to get competitive.

P.S. I also have been silently stalking D.IV.49. Right now it looks like the Dawgs are the top team. However, as we all know, the transfers get very important near the end of the season. A couple transfers could easily shift the power balance.

This Post:
180443.6 in reply to 180443.5
Date: 06/12/2011 01:04:54
Overall Posts Rated:
Hey, good to hear from you And thanks for all the advice!