USA - IV.42 > Season 41

Season 41

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
291735.9 in reply to 291735.8
Date: 1/9/2018 10:54:04 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
First, congrats to Matchstick Men on proving me wrong and picking up their first win over the Bricks. Revenge is a sweet dish best served cold. So, let's hear it for the crew at the Trap for turning off the heat! Also... Congrats to Hot Boyz for turning a "tossup" into a blowout.

Second, Rufus and I decided to split cup coverage. So I'll be previewing Thursdays in the Big 8 for a few weeks at least. The first week is a one-sentencer:

Cup so botty even the bots drew bots.

Good luck Blue Side! You won't need it.

This Post:
291735.10 in reply to 291735.9
Date: 1/10/2018 12:32:24 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
For the Great 8, all of the humans drew bots, and all of the bots drew humans.

Expect everyone except Dejags to move on to the next round.

This Post:
291735.11 in reply to 291735.10
Date: 1/10/2018 12:41:54 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Season 41 Week 1 Power Rankings

1. TicTacShack - 2-0 - Previous Ranking: 1
TicTacShack won both of their games this week and with a hard fought OT victory at lélé, TicTacShack proved that they are still just a little bit better than lélé and the team to beat in the division.
2. Thunderhorse - 2-0 - Previous Ranking: 2
Thunderhorse beat both of the bots it played this week, but in the process proved nothing. There is some uncertainity about this team's full capabilities as they still have not logged on since being demoted into IV.42.
3. lélé - 1-1 - Previous Ranking: 3
lélé beat a bot and lost a close game against TicTacShack. Hanging with TicTacShack proved they belong.
4. Matchstick Men - 2-0 - Previous Ranking: 5
Matchstick Men got their first victory over The Golden Bricks and showed they belong in the top spot in the Big 8 for now. There is still concern about how much Origo and Kumar's skills will degrade, but for now they are the best in the Big 8.
5. The Golden Bricks - 1-1 - Previous Ranking: 4
The Golden Bricks made a tactical mistake in game 1 by committing more resources (mainly enthusiasm) than necessary in ensuring a win in their TV/Rival game which cost them an enthusiasm advantage and potential victory against Matchstick Men.
6. I Volt - 2-0 - Previous Ranking: 6
I Volt had a solid victory over rival brooklyn knicks and took care of business against Sinking Ships. Come the end of the season this team could be the best team in the Big 8, but I am waiting to move them higher until seeing how they perform against Matchstick Men and The Golden Bricks.
7. brooklyn knicks - 1-1 - Previous Ranking: 7
brooklyn knicks had a lackluster week 1 with an opening loss on the road and then steam-rolling a bot. If they showed some improved enthusiasm management, they might be able to hang with some of the top teams better.
8. MeHiCans - 2-0 - Previous Ranking: 9
MeHiCans beat up on two bots this week, not much else left to say. They also could improve with greater enthusiasm management.
9. Hot Boyz - 2-0 - Previous Ranking: 10
Strong opening week for Hot Boyz as they beat both of the teams that were in relegation series last season with them. They get a chance to prove if they belong in the playoffs next week with two games against last season's top 4.
10. The Boxers - 0-2 - Previous Ranking: 8
Missing so far for The Boxers is last season's feistiness as The Boxers have not been too competitive in either game this week and alot of that can be attributed to the team's 2-position training of 18 and 19 year olds.
11. Sinking Ships - 0-2 Previous Ranking: 11
Sinking Ships was competitive against I Volt and gave them a scare. This team has potential to move up as they already seem to have a good grasp on enthusiasm management, tactics and using the GDP. Now it's just a matter of continuing to improve the roster.
t12. Bluehawks, BuryYourDead, Dejags, new york celts, OpTicNation
Still bots...

Last edited by Rufus Rugi at 1/10/2018 12:42:04 PM

This Post:
291735.12 in reply to 291735.11
Date: 1/11/2018 12:55:44 AM
I Volt
IV.19
Overall Posts Rated:
Dude this is epic.. I had no idea anyone was even paying attention. Makes me want to learn and get better. keep up the great work.

This Post:
291735.13 in reply to 291735.8
Date: 1/12/2018 5:13:19 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Saturday, January 13th

Big 8

4. lélé @ 6. buryYourDead
lélé rebounds from their loss by beating up a bot. Winner: lélé

3. MeHiCans @ 2. TicTacShack
This is the only matchup in the Big 8 not involving a bot, but I do not expect it to be that close at all. TicTacShack is substantially better than the MeHiCans, is at home and does not have to worry about any strange tactics from the half-way to bot MeHiCans. Winner: TicTacShack

5. Bluehawks @ 7. OpTicNation (TV)
The TV game of the day is bot on bot action. Hopefully this is a triple-overtime slugfest to keep things interesting. Winner: Who cares? (OpTicNation)

1. Thunderhorse @ 8. new york celts
Three games into the season and Thunderhorse has yet to play a non-bot team. Winner: Thunderhorse

Great 8

Note: I felt like I took the cheap way out not picking a winner in my game last week, so I'll pick winners for my games going forward. Sorry for short changing you Simon
5. brooklyn knicks @ 4. The Golden Bricks
The only matchup of the night of playoff teams from last season. The Golden Bricks defense looks good enough to shut down brooklyn knicks' offense, but will the Golden Bricks offense be able to overcome their struggles they exhibited against Matchstick Men? HCA and rebounding are what The Golden Bricks will need to rely on to win, while brooklyn knicks are relying on Eldon Cannon's remarkable passing skills. This game will be closer than the last time these two teams met at the end of last season. Winner: The Golden Bricks

1. Matchstick Men @ 2. Hot Boyz (rival)
The current standings suggests this might be a close game, but team rankings suggest it might not be. While Matchstick Men's looks to have the better team, I have a feeling that Hot Boyz will make it a closer game than the ratings would indicate. In the end though, close will not be quite enough. Winner: Matchstick Men

7. The Boxers @ 3. I Volt
With any relegation series right now looking like it will involve a bot, there is not much fear of relegation from the Great 8 right now. With this security in mind, I am assuming The Boxers continue their training ways and with two young trainees in their lineup, they just do not have enough to beat I Volt. Winner: I Volt

6. Sinking Ships @ 8. Dejags
Sinking Ships gets their first win of the season as they crush the bot. Winner: Sinking Ships

This Post:
291735.14 in reply to 291735.13
Date: 1/14/2018 1:36:51 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
A great night for underdogs! Hot Boyz and The Boxers both come away with wins. Boyz are now the only undefeated team in the Great 8. And The Boxers are the last human-managed team to put a tally in the win column.

Add a little tactical acumen and the incentive of a rivalry to the help Hot Boyz got from effort, HCA, and their opponent's poor GS update and you have the recipe for a surprise blow-out. The up-and-comer trounced the previous regular season conference champ tonight in an impressive bid for Great 8 supremacy. On the other side, it looks like managerial indifference may spoil the Matchstick Men's chances even if the dreaded bot plague doesn't claim them. Fans have begun a campaign begging Simone7 to login again and "Save the 'Sticks!" (T-shirts available for the low price of 1 year of supporter.) ;-)

In the night's other upset, a perfect storm aligned GDP, some tactics, a rough GS update for I Volt, and a heaping helping of luck to let The Boxers squeak out their first win of the season in triple-OT. I Volt led by as much as 12 in the second quarter. But the tide began to turn in the second half. And a big fourth period for The Boxers culminated in Cavalcanti's game-tying layup with 8 seconds left in regulation. When Salazar's jumper from the top of the key missed at the buzzer it was time for OT. After almost two scoreless minutes of overtime, Görbicz fouled out. Then the teams traded free throws, jumpers, and threes. When Nariwari sunk two more free throws to put I Volt up with a second left, it looked like it was all over. But a quick inbounds pass from Ribinski found Herring under the basket, and his layup extended the night. After a hard-fought second overtime period, Nariwari drained a three to put I Volt up by two. But after a Boxers timeout, a set play for Cavalcanti tied it again with 8 to go. Then Ribinski stopped Lishenkov's drive to force OT3. It was back and forth until a Nariwari jumper from the elbow evened it up with 20 seconds on the clock. But in the final second, Ribinski served up the rock for Mansfield to slam home as The Boxers' bench erupted. Final score 101-99, 3OT.

Last edited by Rhyminsimon (USA NT assistant) at 1/15/2018 11:13:15 AM

This Post:
291735.15 in reply to 291735.13
Date: 1/14/2018 11:11:57 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Congrats to Hot Boyz and The Boxers for proving me wrong, both with big wins for their young programs!

This Post:
291735.16 in reply to 291735.15
Date: 1/15/2018 11:19:27 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Tuesday, January 16th

3 I Volt @ 4 Matchstick Men (TV)
This is a made for TV matchup. Both teams are looking to bounce back after disappointing losses on Saturday. I Volt lead the series 7-1 over the last four seasons and hope to extend their dominance. The Matchstick Men’s only victory in the series came last season as the result of forty-two trips to the free throw line. Nearly every statistical category from Ssn 40 favors the ‘Sticks. But I Volt’s overwhelming ability to nail the three is tailor-made to burn the ‘Sticks 2-3 zone. My gut says that despite some hard-fought ballin’, the ‘Sticks leadership vacancy causes them to crumble under the pressure of I Volt’s high-scoring forwards.

2 TicTacShack @ 1 Thunderhorse
In the night’s other marquee game, the Big 8’s remaining undefeated teams butt heads at the Thunderdome. Whereas the Shack’s promotion-ready roster has already vanquished the other two contenders in the Big 8, Thunderhorse, and their still-intact stable from III.6, have yet to face a human-managed team. The stakes and expectations are high, since the winner emerges as the early favorite to win both the conference and the league. Game shape is a mess for most of the top meteorological equestrians. But the Shack have their own issues with readiness, and don’t boast the same raw talent as the home team. This should be a tight game, but I’m gonna call it for TicTacShack.

1 Hot Boyz @ 5 brooklyn knicks
After setting the Matchstick Men ablaze on Saturday, Hot Boyz visit madison square garden looking to entrench their position atop the Great 8. In their only previous meeting, Hot Boyz lit up the perimeter, sinking 20-42 from downtown on their way to a 16-point margin of victory. Expect to see a similar show, with Hot Boyz taking advantage of brooklyn’s 2-3 defensive scheme to launch their way to victory.

2 The Golden Bricks @ 6 Sinking Ships
The Bricks will enter Iceberg Arena as heavy favorites on Tuesday. With a salary base almost twice that of the home team, they could rest their starters and still have enough of a team to be a threat. Captain Mayday is clearly thinking long-term, given that over half of the Ships’ roster is under 21. But long-term gains are made possible by short-term sacrifices. Rufus may need to consider changing the team’s name to The Golden Buckets after this one, because they ain’t gonna be throwin’ up no bricks!

———
In other action…

5 OpTic Nation @ 3 lélé
After last week’s successful charity event, a hack-a-thon will be held at preston arena to build a time portal and send BB-Forrest back to 1986.

7 BuryYourDead @ 4 MeHiCans
Robosaurus will visit the MeHiCans’ arena to chew up machines, burn them with its flame-thrower, and spit them out.

8 Dejags @ 7 The Boxers
Human Rights Watch will host a rally for the “Campaign to Stop Killer Robots” at The Clearing.

8 new york celts @ 6 Bluehawks
And RobotWars returns to Bluehawks’ Golden Globe Arena for the season’s third episode.

This Post:
291735.17 in reply to 291735.16
Date: 1/15/2018 12:06:41 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

1 Hot Boyz @ 5 brooklyn knicks
After setting the Matchstick Men ablaze on Saturday, Hot Boyz visit madison square garden looking to entrench their position atop the Great 8. In their only previous meeting, Hot Boyz lit up the perimeter, sinking 20-42 from downtown on their way to a 16-point margin of victory. Expect to see a similar show, with Hot Boyz taking advantage of brooklyn’s 2-3 defensive scheme to launch their way to victory.

I'm looking forward to this game to see the after effects for Hot Boyz of their CT against Matchstick Men

This Post:
291735.18 in reply to 291735.17
Date: 1/15/2018 1:30:45 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
You and me, both. It'll show whether their start is a fluke or a sign of things to come.

Message deleted
Advertisement