How I Would Structure BB Without Promotions/Demotions/Divisions

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 01/12/2018 10:18:41
Risers
IV.10
Overall Posts Rated:
So I was brainstorming about the topic above. Despite the fact it will never happen, it was fun to come up with what I have so far.

Main Team
Ages: 20+
Roster Min: 10
Roster Max: 10
Regular Season: 22 games
Playoffs: 8 teams
Playoff Format: 1-1-3
Game Days: Tuesday, Saturday, Sunday(Game 3)

Developmental Team
Ages: 18-21
Regular Season: 22 games
Playoffs: 16 teams
Playoff Format: 1-1-1-1
Days: Thursday, Sunday

All-Star
Duration: 3 days
Day 1: Rookie vs Sophomore
Day 2: Junior vs Senior
Day 3: Three Point Competition, All-Star Game
Days: Tuesday-Thursday

League Tournament
Format: A big mutha effin elimination bracket with all the leagues in the respected country/region

The manager is elected by the others.

The players are selected by the manager with no more than two players from one team.

Roster Min:10

Days: Wednesday

Draft
Rounds: 2
Ages:18
Format: Regular season record
Round 1: 8th-1st, 9th -16th ( to dissuade tanking)
Round 2: 16th - 1st

Free Agency
Only players from your league are available.

Signing and releasing of players is a simultaneous process to adhere to the 10 man min/max.

A player cannot sign to a team he was on within the last 15 weeks.

Scrimmage Week
Duration: 3 games
Ages:18+

I tried to come up with a system that would foster classic rivalries as well as comradery. Let me know what you guys think. I'm curious to know what you guys would add, remove or alter. Hell, go ahead and put down a format of your own if you want to.

Last edited by Matt D at 01/12/2018 11:28:39

This Post:
292018.2 in reply to 292018.1
Date: 01/12/2018 10:37:44
Overall Posts Rated:
Like i said before, i would like all leagues to be even. Money wise. The playoffs can stay as is (1-1-3) idc. The Champion, then returns to the same league, and really tries to repeat. And yes im aware you might have the same team winning over and over again, depending on the league he/she is in. Alright, but so be it, that's basketball, i mean were possibly have cavs/warriors for the 4th conservative time. So, it happens in "real life" why not here too?
Bc people have a short interest span?

Anyways, it would eventually change, depending on how other teams are being run. And a whole lot of patience.

I do like the free agency thing you mentioned. Only thing i would also add is, trades within your league. Sometimes 3 team trades if needed.

Thats all i can think of right now

This Post:
292018.3 in reply to 292018.2
Date: 01/12/2018 10:48:34
Risers
IV.10
Overall Posts Rated:
Yea your comment is what sparked me. And I think most of us agree player development is one of, if not the best part of this game. I think players would stick around more even if they're losing because you'd become familiar with the managers, come up with a plan since you know what players available in free agency are capable of in your league, and you can have a player make the all-star/league team or break records.

Trades would be interesting. Forgot about that.

This Post:
292018.4 in reply to 292018.1
Date: 01/12/2018 10:55:59
Cyborgs
IV.17
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Brawlers
I like you ideas, the one thing I would like to see is a Cap on Salaries for each team in each Division.... I know the Cyborgs are way above salary Cap and its killing me each update on Monday's ... plus after seeing the numerous skills drops on a few of my older players this morning did not make me happy... I might have to think about unloading 1 or 2 .... back on track here with the salary Cap in effect I think all the teams would be more competitive with each other and a lot more would be riding on the development of your trainees as to winning or losing games and also the tactics you employ against opponents..
One other thing I wish would have happened instead of Utopia was to be able to have a developmental team to where you could train and call up players as needed if you have an injury or you would want to run a different tactic against an opponent or even if you need a better rebounder, etc.. for a certain game... you would have the ability to do that and still remain within the salary Cap confines.... well that's all I can think of at the moment...

This Post:
292018.5 in reply to 292018.4
Date: 01/12/2018 11:09:14
Risers
IV.10
Overall Posts Rated:
I think your roster is still way ahead of the pack even with the skill drops. If you let one guy go you'll probably still be.

You make a good point about development being even more important with a salary cap in place. I didn't feel the need to use one in my original idea because I feel like limitting rosters accomplishes a fair balance.

Last edited by Matt D at 01/12/2018 11:24:34

This Post:
292018.6 in reply to 292018.5
Date: 01/13/2018 12:42:04
Overall Posts Rated:
Just thinking out loud:

If teams stayed in the same league, even after a champion is crown. And the only free agencies/players available are from your league. You would most likely see less 40-60 year old players in this game. And in a sense players would retire, at a "normal" age. Not sure, but more training of younger player's would probably go on. And this is how the top team, the aka champion team, would not stay atop "forever"

Another thing, im not sure how many active teams there really are, but you would have less if any bot teams. This part has nothing to do with the new teams in this league, but new teams are kinda scary because you DON'T know if their be active or not. This wouldnt change things either way, and really has nothing to do with anything.

If theres an odd # of active teams, add an extra team or two to leagues, OR have 20 teams per league. (10 on each side, with only 4 teams making playoffs) i think it would definitely keep the playoff race interesting up until the final day. Most seasons than not anyway.

*More realistic BB, then it is right now*

This Post:
292018.7 in reply to 292018.6
Date: 01/13/2018 13:36:04
Cyborgs
IV.17
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Brawlers
>>> Maybe try running it more like the NBA...

This Post:
292018.8 in reply to 292018.6
Date: 01/13/2018 20:54:06
Risers
IV.10
Overall Posts Rated:
Yup. With a limited free agent market, it makes star players more valuable, being that there are only sixteen teams training players. Which also means that the stars that DO exist will have legacies of their own which adds to the immersiveness of the BB experience. That's missing right now because, unless you're in a top division in an active country/region, there is always a player available on the TL to make your team better. Especially if you're not imposing self restrictions, like me, with only buying USA players.

Like you said, a concern in a promotionless system is inactivity. But I do believe that playing with the same people and developing rivalries would keep even the non playoff teams interested. Another thing you could do is give new managers control of an inactive team as is, instead of an entirely new one. In a one league system it would be bad if an entire team goes into free agency when a new manager joins the game. The best teams would just pick up the good players and become even more dominant, leaving the new guy and the bottom teams screwed for a long time, which will result in more inactivity.

I think sixteen teams is fine. I'd rather have more seasons to play through.