BuzzerBeater Forums

Suggestions > Teams may feel bored when they don't have matches (excluding scrimmages) during the playoffs.

Teams may feel bored when they don't have matches (excluding scrimmages) during the playoffs.

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 04/22/2024 08:51:00
QQguest
I.1
Overall Posts Rated:
After seeing JoeMaverick's proposed 10-week season schedule (304302.65)(304302.70)(304302.80),
it made me think that even though we have BBM now, about 15/16 of the teams will have no matches after Week 7.
Even if they make it to the knockout stage, only 1/16 of the teams will have matches during the postseason.
And before the offseason, 1/8 of the teams have a two-week break in the playoffs, 1/4 of the teams have a 1.5-week break, and 1/8~5/16 of the teams have a one-week break.
Only 1/8 of the teams do not have a break during the postseason.

In this thread, I will focus on the postseason.
The issue is that teams may feel bored when they don't have matches (excluding scrimmages) during the playoffs.
(In reality, I guess the NBA might be the same.)

The following is my solution.

Plan
Improve BBM/B3: 1+2

1. Allowing the teams that did not enter the top 64 to enter another 64-team seeded tournament.
- No fortune, no trophies, (to avoid match-fixing)(open to discussion)
but we can still regard it as our own participation in B3, leaving a mark in the team's history.
- 16 groups in a full tier.
- If the tier has fewer than 1024 teams, except for the group of top 64, the other groups can adjust the number of teams, with the remaining slots left empty.
- Teams in the same group will be closer in strength compared to the Swiss system stage.
This will enhance the enjoyment of international competitions.

2. Use 64 Team Seeded Single Elimination and Placement Matches instead of just 64 Team Seeded Single Elimination.
Bracket: https://imgur.com/JwQT4K0
Example: https://imgur.com/uwM5HP8
- The part with zero losses is exactly the same as the original single elimination format.
- Same as before, there are no fixed cash prizes after one loss.
- Each team can play a total of 13 matches (including Swiss system stage).
- Each team does not play the same opponent more than once (in this 6 matches).
- The principle is to let strong teams meet each other as late as possible.
- Participating in such international tournaments (without worrying about weekly minutes and training) is a great experience, and it would be a pity not to play all 13 matches.

If BBM switches to a 13-match format, the scheduling of matches on different days of the week can be reviewed.
However, there doesn't seem to be a perfect solution.
The current system, while feeling a bit dense with matches on Tuesday through Thursday, may be satisfactory or acceptable for those who prioritize only two league matches, two league matches and cup/scrimmages, or two league matches and BBM.