Help - English > Stats for players

Stats for players

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
99846.11 in reply to 99846.10
Date: 07/03/2009 13:29:45
Overall Posts Rated:
so why my guards with high inside shot shot less, then IS 1 guys with a little better JS when i playing LI and IS is important to finish?

Maybe for a number of reasons. As you said, driving is more important for inside shooting when it is a guard. Maybe your centres were getting the better looks? Maybe your opponent's guards have good inside d compared to your guards? It is hard to know without seeing the player's skills on both sides.

So i win this game because of my good C -> (13107676)

I like to watch the taken shots more, and then i see that talipov and Rocha takes the most of my shots, thats were probadly my missmatches i used to score. I can not see how they calculate the 100 shot rating, and very often you have weird matchups leading.

The short answer is no because your C didn't shoot that much.

I said that pts per100 are a good place to start. You used an outside tactic in this game. Even if your Cs inside looks are great, he tends to pass it off when you're using an outside tactic. So his inside looks have to be outstanding for him to shoot. This artificially inflates his pts per 100.

You have to remember that pts per 100 is only based on the shots that the player actually took, not on the quality of all the "looks" he got in the game.

Last edited by HeadPaperPusher at 07/03/2009 13:33:58

Run of the Mill Canadian Manager
This Post:
99846.12 in reply to 99846.10
Date: 07/03/2009 13:45:11
Overall Posts Rated:
Here is the link from GM-jbmcrock for inside shots: (33639.14).

GM-jbmcrock seems to interpret this the same way that I do: this is in reference to driving lay-ups only. Now, what a driving lay-up is in BB is open to interpretation. ;-)

This Post:
99846.13 in reply to 99846.11
Date: 07/03/2009 14:18:41
Overall Posts Rated:

You have to remember that pts per 100 is only based on the shots that the player actually took, not on the quality of all the "looks" he got in the game.

My PF shot 13/24(27 Points) no additional free throws etc., now i multipli this number with 4 and got 52/98(108 Points) now explain me why they score 103,5 Points with 100 shots when they already score 108 with 98?

So my center shot 2-7 + 7/9 freethrows, so maybe i try 7 shots eleven points which i multiply with 14 and got 140 points with 98 shots which is to much so i have to include the free thorws another way. 16 shots and eleven points is obviously less then 100 point per 100 shots. So now i take the free throws as the shots they were(3 two pointer and one three pointer) and got 11 shots and 11 points this is the most sensefull formular but with 100 points per 100 shots far away from the 123,8 points the system calculates for it.

I don't find a formula where this fit, and thats not the uncommon it is much harder to find a example where the points are fitting. So it mades no sense as how good they shoot, and it makes no sense how important there impact is on your game.

So why should be number important?

Last edited by CrazyEye at 07/03/2009 14:24:22

This Post:
99846.14 in reply to 99846.13
Date: 07/03/2009 14:40:08
Overall Posts Rated:

So why should be number important?

First, I don't think that FTs count for the points per 100. Maybe they do but my feeling is that they don't.

Second, you cannot take the stat too literally. You could have a player go 1 for 20 shooting but have a 120 pts per 100 shots. Why? Because the pts per 100 shots is based on the probability of him hitting all the different shots that he took. So for example, if a player only took 4 shots in a game:

-he takes a 3 pt shot and missed, but the probability of the shot going in was 0.5
(in this case, the pts per 100 is 150, 3 times 0.5 times 100)
-he takes an inside shot and scored, probability of the shot going in was 0.5
(pts per 100 is 100)
-he takes another 3 pointer and missed, probability of the shot is 0.20 this time
(pts per 100 is 60)
-he takes a final 2 pointer and missed (at the buzzer), probability of the shot is 0.1 this time
(pts per 100 is 20)

He scored 3 points on 4 shots. If you take pts per 100 literally, he would be averaging 75 pts per 100.

However, pts per 100 is based on the probabiliy that his shots would go in. So his pts per 100 is actually: (150 + 100 + 60 + 20) / 4

=330/4
=82.5

Does that make sense now? As to whether FTs count, I seriously doubt it. It would be too many things to calculate.

This Post:
99846.15 in reply to 99846.14
Date: 07/03/2009 15:27:49
Overall Posts Rated:
So you are saying that this is the most likely matchup, is that right?

On the other hand you say, players who have had prohabilities bad don't take a shot. In this case the centers should have good possibilities, too. But why they take the smallest amount of shots?

Jump Shot: awful Jump Range: atrocious
Outside Def.: atrocious Handling: respectable
Driving: mediocre Passing: mediocre
Inside Shot: mediocre Inside Def.: prominent
Rebounding: prominent Shot Blocking: strong
Stamina: inept Free Throw: prominent

Experience: average

who luckily also plays 22 minutes as a center in this game, against an id 12 or 13 center ;) Ok he didn't shoot but also the other center don't take much shots.

Another fine example with him: (10301647)

Qualtinger seems to my second weakest option in this game, and also thecenter from abbove seems to be the perfect scoring maschine against the strongest player from the opponent. if you tell me that my OD monster Rocha also got good schanches to score i would believe that, but wait he isn't stronger then Qualitnger.

This Post:
99846.16 in reply to 99846.15
Date: 07/03/2009 20:58:13
Overall Posts Rated:
So you are saying that this is the most likely matchup, is that right?

In a base offense, you are more likely to take shots when you get the best "look". So in theory, your player with the best chance to score will take the bulk of the shots. However, a lot depends on your offensive flow. If you can't get the ball to that player fast enough and when he is in a position to score, then someone else will take the shot.

Pace has an impact as your team is willing to settle for a lower quality shot in order to get a shot off faster (although slow pace can work the other way where you wait too long and it ends up just being the last player who touches the ball who takes the shot).

You focus (inside, outside) also has an impact, as I said before.

On the other hand you say, players who have had prohabilities bad don't take a shot. In this case the centers should have good possibilities, too. But why they take the smallest amount of shots?

Inside Shot: mediocre Inside Def.: prominent
Rebounding: prominent Shot Blocking: strong

who luckily also plays 22 minutes as a center in this game, against an id 12 or 13 center ;) Ok he didn't shoot but also the other center don't take much shots.

I don't know why you keep coming back to this guy. He has crappy inside shot and you're complaining that he doesn't shoot? As I said before, he won't shoot because you have better options on your team so he's just going to pass the ball off. The only time he'll shoot is if he's wide open or the shot clock is about to expire.

I'll look at this game later and respond.

This Post:
99846.17 in reply to 99846.15
Date: 07/03/2009 21:17:58
Overall Posts Rated:

Qualtinger seems to my second weakest option in this game, and also thecenter from abbove seems to be the perfect scoring maschine against the strongest player from the opponent. if you tell me that my OD monster Rocha also got good schanches to score i would believe that, but wait he isn't stronger then Qualitnger.

You went run and gun in this game which means that:

-you have a fast pace so your team is not going to wait too long for the best match-up before they shoot
-you went with an outside focus so your team is going to pass up good inside chances in favour of outside chances that may not be as good. Now, if you get a sensational inside chance, your team will still go for it but they'll pass up inside chances that are "good".

So my question to you is this - how good are the outside skills of your C and PF? I'm guessing that they suck for your C and while the outside skills of Paliukonis are ok, Rocha and Qualtinger's are much better. Am I right?

So the pts per 100 of your Cs are quite high, because out of the 3 shots they took they were probably all inside shots and when they were wide open. Your PF probably took a combination of inside and outside shots but again mostly when he was wide open.

You also have to remember that in basketball your guards are going to get most of the outside looks and your C and PF most of the inside looks. So if you're looking for your inside guys to take advantage of a mismatch on the perimeter, you can't play a run and gun - your forwards aren't getting enough touches. Go for a motion or base offense instead.

This Post:
99846.18 in reply to 99846.16
Date: 07/04/2009 03:52:35
Overall Posts Rated:

I don't know why you keep coming back to this guy. He has crappy inside shot and you're complaining that he doesn't shoot? As I said before, he won't shoot because you have better options on your team so he's just going to pass the ball off. The only time he'll shoot is if he's wide open or the shot clock is about to expire.

i am coming back to this guy, because the matchup rating says the different in both games - that he is clearly the best otion - so he should shoot ;)

I often play in cup with a one or two person offense, because i fill the rest with Crappy players(second example) and i can tell you before that my good option will score very lot but in the matchup he will have just average or crappy values.

I say the matchup rating is useless thats why, if you like to see where you have good chanches to score take the number of shot a player has taken -because they show pretty cgood where you could get your shots and not a high value from a position who shots too times.

And outside focus doesn't eman that you don't take good inside shots, if you have good centers, without shot you will see that they will still take their oppurtunieties - especially when they was option number one. But the chanche that you get a good luck outside is higher because inside shots get tougher with it.

This Post:
99846.19 in reply to 99846.18
Date: 07/04/2009 09:30:59
Overall Posts Rated:

I think you're just not getting what I'm saying... For example:

But the chanche that you get a good luck outside is higher because inside shots get tougher with it.

Inside shots do not get tougher if you use an outside focus and your outside looks do not get better. It is just that your team will pass up good inside shots in favour of average outside shots. With an outside focus, the inside look has to be very high quality for your player to take that shot.

So it is actually the opposite, in a way, since you are probably taking lower quality outside shots that you normally would in a base offense.

If you can't understand that point then there's not much else I can explain.

This Post:
99846.20 in reply to 99846.19
Date: 07/04/2009 09:56:26
Overall Posts Rated:
i won't say that, i would say the probability to convert is higher, maybe look a run and gun vs full court press game - it is very often that you will shot in the first seconds(somtetimes i believe they simulate the switch defence sequence) and they are quite a lot IS in it.

Also when you play run and gun with a strong center, against a weak one he will shot quite often but his matchup normally get bad through that.

Last edited by CrazyEye at 07/04/2009 09:57:20

This Post:
99846.21 in reply to 99846.20
Date: 07/04/2009 11:12:46
Overall Posts Rated:
i won't say that,

Just looking at the rules and I think you're right. I'll come back to this later.

Advertisement