BuzzerBeater Forums

USA - IV.49 > Meta-theories

Meta-theories

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 06/02/2011 00:39:42
Overall Posts Rated:
There are a lot of discussions in the forums regarding the 'unknowns' in the game engine. Let's see if this thread takes off . . . if there is a topic that we think will have a lot of concern, let's take it to a new thread just for cleanliness.

GAME ENGINE STUFF

So Kaile alluded to a couple of the more 'common' theories with regard to the game engine, but just for completeness; I believe the following to be true:

1) Right now, OD is the single most impactful skill set on defense. OD not only lowers the percentage of outside shots made by your opponent, but high OD also makes it difficult for 'inside offenses' to work well because the guards can tip or deny the ball from getting into the post players.

Most of the 'top' managers (look at NBBA, NAISMITH, etc) are running a Look Inside offese with either a M2M or 3-2 defense. M2M and 3-2 are extremely effective with high OD in both guards and the SF position. Personally, I think there will need to be a tweek to lower the impact OD is having on the game - I really believe it is the most dominent skill a player can have . . . EVERY aspect of the game can be made better or worse through Outside Defense skills.

2) High passing skills are essential to long term success. The higher the passing skills, the higher the flow rating, the more open shots a team will have. If you watched any of the Dallas Maverick playoff games against Portland or OKC, you know how damaging the 'extra pass' can be. Same is true in BB; if you have a SF and SG with Wonderous JS and Wonderous JR they will make 40% of their shots outside of 16 feet. However, if the collective passing ratings of the team are respectable or higher, the same players will shoot 45 - 55% because they will have more time and space for their shots.

3) Enthusiasm management and Gameshape management are absolutely necesssary at all levels. The impact of having 13 enthusiasm vs. 8 enthusiasm is HUGE. More and more managers are figuring this one out, so teams are on much more equal footing . .. but for many seasons, a team with 30% less payroll could consistently win simply by having 2 or more points higher enthusiasm. Gameshape is also massive. A $25,000 player with average gameshape will play like a $15,000 player at best . ..

4) (I believe) that stamina has a large impact on how players play in the 4th quarter. My team right now is performing contrary to this rule . . . but in seasons past, I would have very good players with poor stamina shoot 10 for 14 in the first 3 quarters and go 0 for 8 in the 4th. I have not been able to isolate exactly what the impact is yet, but I am working on it.

5) (I believe) that driving and handling are the most underrated skills in BB. Not only can very high driving and very high handling help against strong OD players (by getting to the rim, by driving and opening a passing lane, etc.) but the shooting percentages of my players with very high driving is MUCH higher than than my other players. Also, there is not much of a salary bump for high driving . . . it is not free, but it is pretty cheap. I also believe that steals are tied to the combination of OD, driving and handling (but don't have support for that, yet).

6) There is absolutely a 'hidden attribute' related to fouls and injuries. Players that foul often also injure other players more often . . . AND they tend to get injured more often as well. When looking at players on the transfer list, I try to avoid players that average more than 3.5 fouls per game for this reason. There is also a stamina connection to fouls . . . the lower the player's stamina, the more likely they are to be tired and foul the player they are trying to guard.

This Post:
186351.2 in reply to 186351.1
Date: 06/02/2011 01:22:37
Overall Posts Rated:
Solid post. I want to put in a few more quick and easy ones before bed.

1) Rebounding- Such as in real life. If you dominate the boards then you dominate the game. I've seen teams with bad defense make up for it through AMAZING rebounding. While I personally prefer defense (less shots you have to rebound) I'd still recommend new teams to go for high rebounding. It gets your team as a collective better faster as you train individuals or small groups to be key players. when I started out I worked my way up to strong rebounding for that very reason.

2) PR Manager (and other staff)- While most go for an advanced trainer and the like...the PR manager is perhaps the most misunderstood of the bunch. This guy can turn your team into the green zone (turn a profit) almost literally on his own. With the base level PR manager I found that sales increase at less than a thousand per week. Just one level up and it increases to almost two thousand (considereing moderate success). I cannot emphasize enough how important money is in this game. which leads me to....

3) Arena- You MUST, I repeat, MUST keep an eye on ticket sales. If you don't increase your arena once you start selling around 85% of your tickets on a consistant basis, then you're missing out on quite a bit of income. I choose 85% as I've found that it generally hits that level on the way up. If you're losing ticket sales it's more likely that it will drop quickly to the 70's or 60% level. With the arena starting at such a low level it takes a long time (and a lot of cash) to build it up. For new users I'd recommend 500k be spent of the first upgrade with a focus on the first two sections.

4. Arena ticket costs- Unless you're a complete juggernaut winning every game it's pretty simple to set ticket prices. Perhaps 5-10% more than the minimal should keep your fans happy and your bleachers full.
My current prices are $10 bleachers; $25 lower tier; $125 court side and $1000 Luxury boxes.

And the last for tonight is...

5) Training- I really think this should have a long section devoted to it..which there but just for those of you here....I'd tell you to stay away from team training...it's highly inffectual and doesn't give enough gain in a timely manner. The only reason I'd ever set it to such a state was if I wasn't going to log on for long periods of time to set my roster . Then there would be at least some gain. If you really need a widespread improvement then train 2 positions (Guards, wings, PF/C etc..) at a time, for a total of 4-6 people trained.

This Post:
186351.3 in reply to 186351.2
Date: 06/02/2011 01:33:48
Overall Posts Rated:
We are in sync . . . I put these comments and others in the other post I started on more general strategy topics. I fully agree with all of these. IF you must train more than 2 or 3 players, I am a big fan of 1v1 either guards or sf/pf. With 1v1, you can increase JS, HA and DR for 5 players (6 if you are lucky) consistently. Whether it is guards or forwards depends solely on the height of the players . . . obviously would work best to have players with great OD and passing skilss . .. then you could guard 1v1 train them for the whole season. If you did that, you would probably increase JS 6 levels, and HA and DR 5 or 6 each. Quite an improvement over an 18 week period.

This Post:
186351.4 in reply to 186351.3
Date: 06/02/2011 01:37:36
Overall Posts Rated:
Yeah, that is where most of my initial success in Div. III came from. I was able to do 1v1 so much due to training OD and passing when I first came into play...the result were wingmen who could guard and beat anyone. That's one part of the meta I'm still very iffy on. I can't decide if having a great PG/C or a great SF/SG is better. the Wingmen combo are just SO impactful as a whole but Centers (for ID and Rebounding) and PG (offensive flow) really can do a lot as well. Wingmen tend to make the game more exciting but C/PG control the game better. So I'm torn which way to go every time I train.