BuzzerBeater Forums

Suggestions > Let players play during injuries, drop their performance accordingly

Let players play during injuries, drop their performance accordingly

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 07/18/2022 16:32:01
$uperiors
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
$uperiors II
Injuries can ruin seasons (or even real time years) of long term planing. Although I like the randomness factor in the game which force you in a way to have some sort of plan B and C in order to adjust when bad things happens, sidelining player due to injury for weeks is too much, especially considering additional weeks to get the shape back. This happened to a team in my lige TWICE in a row, two best players got injured just before playoffs which ruined their shape or sidelined them for a playoff game, so he had no chance eventhough he was the strongest team in the playoff. There are many more examples across the league as we all know.

My suggestion is to enable players to compete even when injured, just scale down their shape (performance) accordingly. For example, player is injured for 12 days. He cant play first 4 days. From 4 - 8 days he plays on 50 % of his normal self, and from 8 - 12 days he plays on 75 %. Maybe you can also assign stamina 1 to all injured guy, so they can only play limited number of "good" minutes per game.

At least the injured guy gets minutes for game shape and you can get something from him, play him from the bench for example. It happens in real life that players play when they are not 100 %, why not implement it here. I think it is more realistic and fair.

Cheers

Poll:  Do you agree?

yes
no

To: julo
This Post:
315230.2 in reply to 315230.1
Date: 07/18/2022 16:55:29
Overall Posts Rated:
That's part of the game, I think.
My suggestion would be a bit different than yours.
I think some injuries (more serious) should mean the player is out for x time.
But some other (less serious) could mean a % drop on their performance (for some time) but not necessarily out. In these cases, there could also be the risk of re-aggravating the injury (if the player is pushed too hard while injured).
That's why in real life rosters have, at most, 12/15 players but when a superstar gets injured, there's little you can do about it, it's just bad luck.
But yeah, the game shape recovery complicates things ingame, since the "non-peak" time can be too long in-season, just because of a single injury, so I get your suggestion/concern. Maybe if the injured player would drop one single game shape level, no matter the injury (if he is unable to play for a week or more), for the purpose of an easier recovery?

This Post:
315230.3 in reply to 315230.1
Date: 07/18/2022 19:27:19
Durham Wasps
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Sunderland Boilermakers
I had two two week injuries to my two shooting guards in Utopia this season. I relegated because of points difference. With the injuries and subsequent lowered game shape for those two players, I think it's reasonable to say I would have stayed up but for them. And yet I still think it's important that injuries are part of the game for precisely the reason you mention. You need a plan B or a plan C and that's important as it's a choice we can make to gamble on not having injuries or having enough back up to cover

This Post:
315230.6 in reply to 315230.5
Date: 07/27/2022 16:15:34
$uperiors
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
$uperiors II
Well I would be happy with any implementation that gives manager more control and additional choices what to do with injured player, whether it is to play him before he fully recovers with the cost of worse game shape or risking even worse injury, which has also been suggested. I do agree though that longer, more serious injuries should stay a part of the game, and that in first period of the injury the player should not be capable to play, but only after some time has passed. That would be better as it is right now, where all you can do is to sit and wait for the whole time for the day when the injury statement disappears.

Regarding how this doesn't apply to real life. Sure there are season or career ending injuries in real life, so sidelining injured player for a while indeed reflects the real life. However, then it should also be noted that other things happen in real life which significantly benefit one or the other team, like breakout season of a cheap player that no one expected or great chemistry between players that boost the whole team, being the two examples. The point I am trying to make here is that, obviously, not every aspect of the real life can or should be incorporated into the game, but hopefully those that make the game better and more attractive, and my opinion is that injuries should be adjusted correspondingly.

Oh, and it is definitely normal that injured player play, if an injury is not that serious. Maybe in regular season they wait and fully recover, but when the season is on the line in playoffs, players will play injured if the injury is not to bad, we see that all the time. Their performance might drop though, and we come back to the original suggestion that was proposed here.

Last edited by julo at 07/27/2022 16:27:09

To: julo
This Post:
315230.7 in reply to 315230.6
Date: 07/28/2022 10:49:00
Overall Posts Rated:
Oh, and it is definitely normal that injured player play, if an injury is not that serious.

That is already the case. If the injury is not serious it will not remain after the game has ended. Your players can even come back during the game if you have a doctor with taping injuries speciality but that happens rarely.